Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

OK serious this time. Best audio system I've ever seen!

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-05, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for the last thread, I was younger and did not consider a lot of factors. Here is the best audio system I have ever seen. The turntable alone costs $50,000+. This is seriously a lot like the audio room I have in my dreams, only I would have a much darker room and more wood paneling and discretely hidden wires. That rug has got to go and the flooring would definately be changed. Also, I'd have a Eames Lounge chair with ottoman. This guy just has all the wires exposed and everywhere. I like the ceiling design though and the record shelves look very clean.

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...slt&1036349020
Old 06-30-05, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
While reading about the guys system here he has this gem:
I like my sources to be on the side of the room, and the (monoblock) amps to be between the speakers. My turntable weighs 550 pounds; I have installed a 24" x 24" piece of Travertine tile directly on the concrete for the turntable on the left side of the room alongside the left hand diffuser panel. The air compressor for the turntable is in the attic above the room where it can't be heard. We installed 2" conduit for the turntable air and control hose in the wall.
What the hell does a turntable need an air compressor for?
Old 06-30-05, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Apparently, the record and tone arm are suspended on a cushion of compressed air. Hence the air compressor.

What's even more surprising is that the dood who owns the system/room only works at a auto dealership!
Old 06-30-05, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

another pic:

Old 06-30-05, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Notice how there is only one chair in there. That should tell you alot.
Old 06-30-05, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Aphex Twin
Apparently, the record and tone arm are suspended on a cushion of compressed air. Hence the air compressor.

What's even more surprising is that the dood who owns the system/room only works at a auto dealership!
Ah, I have heard that some models work that way.

Even more surprising is that this guy is married.
Old 07-01-05, 08:54 AM
Mod Emeritus

This is a step in the right direction! He's not only got good equipment, but also a room with acoustic design and treatments that are specific for a listening environment. He needs wire management too though, which seems odd for what appears to have been new construction.

He also needs a couple of additional seats for friends/family and a sweet projector so the room can be used as a home theater!
Old 07-01-05, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Any ideas on costs for equipment and also for room treatments/design? Surely blows my budget out of the water.
Old 07-01-05, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dead
This is a step in the right direction! He's not only got good equipment, but also a room with acoustic design and treatments that are specific for a listening environment. He needs wire management too though, which seems odd for what appears to have been new construction.

He also needs a couple of additional seats for friends/family and a sweet projector so the room can be used as a home theater!
He definately needs to organize some of the wires better, but the exposed wiring in the front makes sense for an audiophile -- the shorter the wires and cables, the better. He's sacrificing some appearance for improved quality.
Old 07-01-05, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Deftones
Notice how there is only one chair in there. That should tell you alot.
My thought EXACTLY! $^)
Old 07-01-05, 10:24 PM
Cool New Member

The way I understand the audiophiles' version of cable management is to keep the cable length to a minimum, as more cable equals more sound degradation; and the less bending of the cale the better.

As a result, you'll see cable running across floor in plain view - all in the name of best audio performance.

Oh, also, a lot of the audiophiles believe that cables that are slightly elevated up in the air perform better (also demonstrated in the picture).
Old 07-04-05, 04:50 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by wilson ttc
The way I understand the audiophiles' version of cable management is to keep the cable length to a minimum, as more cable equals more sound degradation; and the less bending of the cale the better.

As a result, you'll see cable running across floor in plain view - all in the name of best audio performance.

Oh, also, a lot of the audiophiles believe that cables that are slightly elevated up in the air perform better (also demonstrated in the picture).
I'm an audiophile, but I believe it's all fake. As long as you have a decent cable/wire gauge, you'll be fine with a 5 foot cable instead of 4.5 foot cable.
Old 07-04-05, 09:25 PM
Cool New Member

When it comes to cable, there're always controversies. I consider myself a borderline audiophile, and have tried various combination of components, including cables.

One thing I can say for sure, is that cables, like any other components, do have sonic characters. However, the difference in sounds (say, between 99 cents cable and $199 per foot cable) are not worth the difference in money to my ears.

Is it voodoo? No, I don't think so, just a big investment for little return. But for people who will accept little or no comprimise, like in those pictures above, then an extra foot of unecessary cable is too much.