DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Turned on my TV tonight...all I get is a solid line across the middle... (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/428248-turned-my-tv-tonight-all-i-get-solid-line-across-middle.html)

Toad 06-25-05 08:05 PM

Turned on my TV tonight...all I get is a solid line across the middle...

Have a 2-yr old Samsung, don't know the model #, it's like a 27-inch or something. Has worked fine until tonight.

We turned it off, left for dinner, came back later and turned it on --- and that's all we have --> a bright line in the middle.

I've tried unplugging the cable box (it's connected via RCA cables), and the same thing happens. Tried playing a DVD, same thing. Tried unplugging, disconnected, reconnecting, etc.

Any ideas?

For anyone who's had similar problems, is this something that can be fixed, or does it require a new set?

Toad 06-25-05 08:15 PM

P.S. The line is a horizontal line, right across the middle of the screen. I can tell there's some sort of "image" there because it changes colors.

DVD Josh 06-25-05 09:10 PM

Quick diagnosis is a blown picture tube.

Toad 06-25-05 09:34 PM

Fixable?

(And, if so, worth it)?

Sdallnct 06-25-05 10:30 PM

If it is a blown tube, then very doubtful it is repairable (well anything can be repaired, just not worth the cost). Assuming it is not HD it may not even be worth having checked out unless you can get them to do a quick check for free. But many places are now charging a $75 to $150 "estimate fee" that may or may not be applied to the repair.

Is it even a flat screen? If not even a flat screen I would think you could get a 27" TV for $200 or so? Here is a flat tube Magnavox w/ component input for $230,

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1099395069083

Toad 06-26-05 06:43 AM

Thanks, if we buy, we're going to upgrade (albeit minimally).

Giantrobo 06-26-05 05:44 PM

My 10 + year old Sony was doing this a few years back. It would do that until it warmed up then the picture would pop up. I found that leaving the tv on all the times eliminates this problem. It's just a monitor so when it's off it's just a black screen.

dave-o 06-26-05 09:53 PM

My secondary tv does this all the time. For me it is quite easy to fix, a nice hard smack to the bottom right corner of the TV set, Fanzi style. Works every time. :)

You might try smacking the TV a little ( not too hard of course). Duct tape and a good smack can fix just about anything.

I also noticed when my TV does this, that the thin line in the middle is actually the full picture condensed into a thin line. So if you turn your head sideways and shake it back and forth quickly enough, you can see what is on. I wouldn't reccommend doing this as an alternative to getting it fixed though. :D

Spiky 06-27-05 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
My 10 + year old Sony was doing this a few years back. It would do that until it warmed up then the picture would pop up. I found that leaving the tv on all the times eliminates this problem. It's just a monitor so when it's off it's just a black screen.

With the money you spent on the extra electricity, you could have bought a new one.

Fielding Mellish 06-27-05 02:35 PM

Another possibililty:

Listen closely for a high pitch hum.

Then, listen for a narrator to possibly say:

There is nothing wrong with your television set. Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling transmission. If we wish to make it louder, we will bring up the volume. If we wish to make it softer, we will tune it to a whisper. We can reduce the focus to a soft blur, or sharpen it to crystal clarity. We will control the horizontal. We will control the vertical. For the next hour, sit quietly and we will control all that you see and hear. You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the inner mind to... The Outer Limits."

:D

Toad 06-27-05 07:22 PM

Bought a new one...works better.

Sdallnct 06-27-05 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Toad
Bought a new one...works better.

Yup, I find that to. Getting a "new one" usually takes care of all!

Tsar Chasm 06-29-05 04:21 AM

FWIW, it was very likely the horizontal oscillator that got "hurt" this is a very inexpensive part but should only be replaced by an experienced technician. All said and done, probably a wash price-wise with a new television.