Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Thinking of getting a Maxent TV-any experience?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 06-23-05, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Here's the link

This looks like a reasonably priced brand and when I was in the store I noticed it had almost the same image quality as a Sony that cost about $1000 more. Anyone had experience with this model as I am thinking about dropping some bonus money on it soon and would like to look before I leap.
Old 06-23-05, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
It's $100 less at Costco.
Old 06-23-05, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Mixed opinions here

http://www.tv-forums.com/forum/TV_Eq...asma_tv_P6652/

Frankly I have never heard of them and that always makes me investigate that much harder.
Old 06-23-05, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
Interesting, those reviews really don't help me out as much as make my dilemma even bigger! They had a Sony 42" rear projection TV for the same price, but the picture quality of Maxent looked so much better it wasn't even funny. The salesperson at Best Buy said that Maxent worked better in a lighted room while Sony was better for dark areas. My living room varies at times, but it is dark for the most part.
They had HD TV on the Maxent and it looked great. They had a DVD in the Sony and quite frankly, I thought it blew.
Old 06-24-05, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Interesting, those reviews really don't help me out as much as make my dilemma even bigger! They had a Sony 42" rear projection TV for the same price, but the picture quality of Maxent looked so much better it wasn't even funny. The salesperson at Best Buy said that Maxent worked better in a lighted room while Sony was better for dark areas. My living room varies at times, but it is dark for the most part.
They had HD TV on the Maxent and it looked great. They had a DVD in the Sony and quite frankly, I thought it blew.
Ignore any image you see in a showroom. Those TVs are not calibrated and any variation you see among them can probably be easily changed by tweaking the settings. The default settings are designed to make the TV look good in a bright showroom relative to other TVs not in your living room.
Old 06-25-05, 01:29 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, the only way to comare picture in a show room is to go to a dedicated home theaters store that has their sets properly calibrated.