DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Onkyo SR602 or Yamaha 5860 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/427314-onkyo-sr602-yamaha-5860-a.html)

Schmity 06-17-05 11:15 PM

Onkyo SR602 or Yamaha 5860

So, I've cooled my "ego" down and realized that, since I don't live in a castle, I can certainly do just fine with either one of these (vs. the SR702 or 5890... the respective bigger brothers of the above two receivers).

While either of these appears to meet my 7.1 upgrade-needs and input/output abilities, there is a modest power and distortion differential between the two.
Help me understand the significance (if any?) in these numbers:

If I recall, the Onkyo had 85w/ch at .07% distortion.
And the Yamaha has 105w/ch at .8% distortion... a 10-fold "increase"?

Does the lower distortion value make the 85watts substantially cleaner (and better) than 105 "dirtier" watts.. for lack of a better phrase?
I know I'm not expressing it right and I know both of these units are substantially better than your off-the-shell dime-store receivers, but what's the meaning behind these? Am I even fair to relate or pair the significance of these two bits of data with one another?

Anyone have a clear winner (or obstacle/hassle/limitation) as to one over the other?
Thanks so much!

Brian Shannon 06-18-05 10:13 AM

Does the lower distortion value make the 85watts substantially cleaner (and better) than 105 "dirtier" watts.. for lack of a better phrase?
You don't say what kind of speakers you have but IMHO no one could hear the difference in this specification. I would base your decision on inputs, remote control, price etc., and not worry about a distortion spec.

DVD Josh 06-18-05 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Schmity
So, I've cooled my "ego" down and realized that, since I don't live in a castle, I can certainly do just fine with either one of these (vs. the SR702 or 5890... the respective bigger brothers of the above two receivers).

While either of these appears to meet my 7.1 upgrade-needs and input/output abilities, there is a modest power and distortion differential between the two.
Help me understand the significance (if any?) in these numbers:

I know I'm not expressing it right and I know both of these units are substantially better than your off-the-shell dime-store receivers, but what's the meaning behind these? Am I even fair to relate or pair the significance of these two bits of data with one another?

Anyone have a clear winner (or obstacle/hassle/limitation) as to one over the other?
Thanks so much!

Check my sig :)

I really like the Onkyo. If I can help, one of my major purchasing points was its clean power. take from that what you will.

svadas 06-18-05 10:57 AM

Maybe Yamaha is just being more truthful with their numbers?

Schmity 06-19-05 10:50 PM

Speakers are Paradigm Monitor 11's!
At times, I do simply like to just play my music loud (vs. home theater)... and it can vary from Dizzy to Nirvana to Britney (ha, just kiddin).
So a decent amount of power, clean power, is important.
I'm convinced 85w is sufficient. More is always nice, but, honestly probably unnecessary(?). In other words, if I was in college again, I'd flip for the 702/5890 easy (just more PB&J for lunch is all :) But I (and my comrades) are all married with kids now... don't need to impress w/ bling-for-the-sake-of-bling.
Thanks for thoughts guys!
M.

Spiky 06-20-05 07:18 AM

If the Yamaha was listed at 85wpc, it would probably have similar or better THD ratings. Keep in mind that neither of these will actually achieve those ratings with all channels driven. They are measured 2 channels at a time, not 5 or more. Any distortion rating under 1% should be inaudible to almost everyone with almost every sound or test you can run. If you wish to be frightened, check out the THD rating on your sub.

If you can hear a difference between the 2, by all means pick which one sounds better for your speakers. Otherwise, I'd go by other features or flip a coin. I've had both brands and both are great. Much better amps than other low-end receivers.

Pwman 07-02-05 11:12 PM

I love my Onkyo 6.1 520 rated the same thd. Can you listen to them both and choose ?