Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Best Home Theater Book?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Best Home Theater Book?

Old 06-14-05, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Home Theater Book?

Hey all,

I have been in the market for a nice, recent book on home theaters. I am looking for something that is not so much the pre-theater stages, but rather what to do after you have everything. I looked at the idiot's guide to home theaters, and home theaters for dummies -- but those seem to be filled with too much fluff and a lot of the stuff is tooo elementry. I have been looking at Home "Theater For Everyone: A Practical Guide to Today's Home Entertainment Systems by Tomlinson Holman (Foreword), Robert Harley" lately, and it seems extremely comprehensive and recent (touching on DTS ES, LCoS, HDMI, etc). It also goes into such specifics as to tuning each seperate speaker, diople, bipole speakers, types of interlacing, etc.... so it seems to be the best so far.

I would just like a book that talks about how to optimize what you ahve, what to do, what not to do -- etc....also to brush up on everything over all....

Any suggs?

Thanks,

Matt
Old 06-15-05, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Since tech changes quickly wouldn't finding something on the internet be better than a book?
Old 06-15-05, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like the DVD Demystified book. It doesn't have everything you mentioned, focused generally just on DVD. But it has some more general HT information. Also comes with a test/trailer DVD.

Of course, it's mostly available on the net at their site, now. So I don't know about buying it. I was gonna once, but why bother with the net?