Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Volume control on a zone 2 w/ 4 speakers .. .. .. help

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-05, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, my buddy has a Zone 2 set up. The zone 2 is a non-powered source output so I set the system up so that the zone 2 output runs to an Onkyo Stereo Amp/Receiver in his garage that mostly stays on. From there, we have 2 sets of outdoor speakers on A using a Niles 8 speaker switch box (B is being used by garage speakers). One pair is in an enclosed patio; the other is out on the house facing the pool. Both are awesome!

The issue is that when the pool area speakers are loud enough to enjoy, the patio speakers are blairing! When the patio speakers are low and enjoyable, the pool area's are almost mute. He wants to be able to have both sets on at the same time but be able to lower the enclosed patio's volume some to be "balanced" with the outdoor speakers. He does not want to be able to increase/decrease either pair seperately, but set it so that when one is loud, both are loud.

Any suggestions? Is there some sort of lin-line attenuator that will lower the volume/power to the enclosed patio speakers? Any help would be great.
Old 06-12-05, 05:36 PM

Are the outdoor speakers identical? Is the imbalance due to differences in the speakers or due to one pair being in an enclosed area and one being aimed at the sky?

Does this behavior change when the B speakers are off? Most receivers operate A and B terminals in series (prove this by trying to use B when A is off; if they don't work, it's a series connection). I would be concerned about trying to drive three pairs of speakers with one stereo amplifier.

Yes, there are inline attenuators. If you think about it, an in-line volume control can only be an attenuator. Russound makes some (example: http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/s...ory=acc_volume) and I'm sure you'll find more if you look.

But IMO you'd do better just buying another stereo receiver for $50 off ebay or somewhere, and using it to drive one of the pairs of outdoor speakers. It will work exactly the way you want, sound better, not compromise the signal or endanger the speakers, and probably cost less than a good volume control.

RichC
Old 06-13-05, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a low cost suggestion, Sonic Impact Digital Amp's they are less than $30 each and I use one to drive my two outside speakers. Here is a link on amazon http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...onics&n=507846

They have a built-in volume control and sound fantastic for the price. I would buy one for each subzone of your second zone for indepedant volume control.
Old 06-13-05, 05:37 PM

A small power amp is a handy thing. But you may be underestimating just how much power it takes to get usable levels from hifi speakers in an outdoor environment, where there are no walls or ceilings to reinforce and contain the sound. Most professional outdoor installations use 75-volt distribution systems, or multiple amplifiers, or both, for this reason.

RichC
Old 06-15-05, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have no problem getting the little amp to power my JBL S36II PM's on my deck loud enough to hear anywhere in the yard. In any case its a cheap test, I power mine with a DC power supply which from what I read gives you more watts than using batteries.