Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Buying a 9+ year old Sony RPT - Am I crazy?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-05, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someone has a Sony KPR-53cx35 for sale locally @ $350. I found a limited amount of info here.

Is buying this TV a good deal or a waste of my time? Will I end up having to repair/trash it?

I currently have a 36 inch Magnavox tube tv that I picked up at Circuit City 1.5 years ago.

Most of watching is regular TV via Dish Network - so figure this would be a little upgrade until I am ready to take the jump to a $2k TV in a year or so..
Old 06-12-05, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
IMHO save your money. Nine years is a long time, I hate to think what kind of condition the guns/bulbs are in. It only has S-video, you will be disappointed with the picture quality from Dish on a TV that old.
Old 06-12-05, 12:47 PM

Skip it. If the TV has been used during it's lifetime, it's probably been used up. CRTs wear out, and the picture deteriorates (subtly over time, so the owner may not realize just how degraded the image quality really is).

It's VERY likely that your newer 36in direct-view, budget unit though it is, has better image quality than this RP.

If you want a little temporary bump for $350, look around for a 30-in ED or HD widescreen CRT direct-view monitor, and use it just for watching DVDs, setting up much closer to your seating position than your bigger TV.

Better still, save your money for the digital era, which is that freight train you hear bearing down on you already.

RichC
Old 06-13-05, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Way skip it. Why spend money on a TV that old that might have something wrong with it, or could die at any time. Plus w/ cheaper technology, you could find a 32" tube for that much that has better inputs for DVD and so forth.
Old 06-13-05, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i wouldnt take that tv for free.. a 9y rptv is crap most likely.
Old 06-13-05, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 507 Likes on 351 Posts
I would take it for free. If the picture was even halfway decent I'd crank it up to torch mode and hook my classic consoles (2600, NES, N64, PS) up to it.
Old 06-13-05, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They're getting way too cheap to throw $350 at a 9 year old set. I'd go half that maybe, even $200 for something that you can tinker with for awhile and take a chance on, but when Wallyworld and others are selling RP sets for less than $1000 I'd just save my money, you're spending almost half what a new one of those would cost.
Old 06-22-05, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Thanks for your input - i like the "torch" suggestion - but I am going to pass.