Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

FCC Pulls Ahead Dates for HDTV Digital Tuner Requirements

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-05, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm sure there will be mixed opinions on whether this is a good or bad thing, but for users of OTA signal, the need for a set top box because your shiny HDTV is really only a monitor is a bit of nuisance. Date for medium size tv pullahead 3 months, they are looking at 6 month pullahead for small tv.
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT
FCC speeds up digital TV signal deadlines

By DAVID PACE
Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Federal regulators on Thursday moved up the deadlines for manufacturers to make popular, mid-sized television sets capable of receiving digital signals.

The next-generation technology provides sharper images and more programming options.

The Federal Communications Commission voted 4-0 to require that all medium-sized televisions, those with screens from 25 to 36 inches in diameter, be capable of receiving both digital and traditional analog signals by March 1, four months earlier than the commission had decreed three years ago.

Regulators also retained a requirement that half of all new mid-size televisions must have digital receiving capability by July 1.

The commission also proposed moving the deadline for all small TVs to have digital tuners to the end of 2006, rather than the July 1, 2007, deadline the regulators set in 2002. That proposals will be voted on later after a period of public comment.

The lack of digital-capable television sets has been a major impediment to Congress' tentative deadline of December 2006 to complete the transition from traditional analog TV signals to digital. The 1997 law setting that deadline permits it to be extended in any market until 85 percent of the homes have a digital TV.

"We need to push the transition to its conclusion as expeditiously as possible, said Commissioner Kathleen Q. Abernathy.
Old 06-09-05, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fine by me. Still wouldn't be in my TV, though.
Old 06-09-05, 07:05 PM

Apparently this only applies to TVs with round screens ("25 to 36 inches in diameter").

Seriously, this is fine, but the important date is when they turn off the analog transmitters.

RichC
Old 06-11-05, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts
The FCC should mandate more good programming on TV, and no more onscreen logos!
Old 06-11-05, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by rdclark
Apparently this only applies to TVs with round screens ("25 to 36 inches in diameter").

Seriously, this is fine, but the important date is when they turn off the analog transmitters.

RichC
I think it is just that "idiot reporter" as other versions of the story don't say diameter, eg. http://www.toptechnews.com/news/Digi...d=023002BBE97D

I don't think they FCC will achieve year end 2006, but I think they are trying to minimize how much they delay the analog cutoff date.

The digital tuner may be more important in the "small" sets, as the market is for a conveninet flat screen to put in kitchen (or someplace) that doesn't take up much room, is less likely to be connected to cable or dish. They are now offered with NTSC tuners, and I think buyers will be upset to spend several hundred, then need set-top box when analog is cutoff. Plus all the digital channels are UHF, minimizes the antenna requirements, at least in metro areas.
Old 06-11-05, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
The FCC should mandate more good programming on TV, and no more onscreen logos!
Agree, the logos are annoying.
Old 06-22-05, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"The FCC should mandate more good programming on TV, and no more onscreen logos!"

Can I get an Amen!!!