Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Denon 3200 receiver goes into overload on optical??

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-05, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would someone here be able to give me insight on this? I have a Sony P650D for my dvd players and a Denon 3200 receiver (classics, bought around '98-99). Both have an optical input but when I plug in the cable, the receiver goes into overload. I believe the receiver is set automatically to figure out what kind of signal to pass, but it goes into overload protection every time. If I plug in composite cables (is that what they are called? RCA cables), it works perfectly, but the second I plug in the optical cable, it goes right back into protection mode.

I've read on a few sites that this receiver is bad for that and I've yet to find a solution, anyone here have any idea?
Old 05-31-05, 10:59 AM

I also have a Denon AVR-3200. Did you try to cycle through inputs after plugging the cable in? Also, you might want to take it off "auto" mode and force digital.
Old 05-31-05, 06:07 PM

I tried to force digital but didnt get anything... I am not sure I know how to cycle through the inputs, I dont have the manual and its not plugged on the tv (what!?!? I'm sure people will say, but I only use my receiver with the dvd player) so I can't get to the stinking menu.

Could you tell me what button it is to cycle through?
Old 06-01-05, 03:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I thought you had to go into the menu and assign the optical to the source. so if you have the receiver set to VDP which outputs the picture to your TV then you have to also set the optical input to that source VDP.

here is the link to the avr3300 manual it should be similar

http://www.usa.denon.com/catalog/pdfs/avr3300DFU.pdf

from denon site:

18) I OCCASIONALLY SEE AN "OVERLOAD" INDICATOR ON THE FRONT PANEL DISPLAY. IS THIS THE SAME AS "PROTECTION"?

No it isn’t. Some Denon components have a front panel "Overload" indicator that tells you when you need to decrease the sensitivity of a particular analog input. Simply follow the directions under "Analog Input Level" to assure distortion-free operation that won’t continuously trigger the "Overload" indicator.

didn't help me much.

I would also not have any other source coming into that input.

Last edited by gcribbs; 06-01-05 at 03:58 AM.
Old 06-01-05, 03:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Feneant
I tried to force digital but didnt get anything... I am not sure I know how to cycle through the inputs, I dont have the manual and its not plugged on the tv (what!?!? I'm sure people will say, but I only use my receiver with the dvd player) so I can't get to the stinking menu.

Could you tell me what button it is to cycle through?
get another svideo cable so you can use the menu.
Old 06-01-05, 10:22 AM

Thanks, I'll look into it.
Old 06-01-05, 11:09 AM

You really need to hook the receiver up to a video source and use the on screen menu to set it up. I bet that is the issue here. Once you ahev that hooked up, you can choose what component gets the digital. I can't remember what component it assigned to the digital input by default.
I checked my receiver last night and the overload light will come on when I switch from one input to the other while the AMP itself is switching.