Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

6.1 vs 7.1 sound

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-05, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.1 vs 7.1 sound

I've been enjoying 5.1 for many years, but we're going to be moving to a house that includes a media room... so the upgrading begins.

My receiver, which is a recent Yamaha that I'm happy with, supports 6.1, but I'm currently only using 5.1 (as mentioned).

Since in the media room I'll have access to all the walls, etc., (and can prewire as it's built), I figured I would at least use the full 6.1.

Would it, however, be worth moving to 7.1? Is there a big difference? Do many DVDs support 7.1?

Lastly, for either 6.1 or 7.1, can I just add more Klipsch Quintets (that's what I'm using) as the extra speakers, or do I need to replace them with a "tuned" 6.1 or 7.1 set of speakers?

Sorry if this is a repeat, but I did search, but couldn't find a similar discussion.
Old 05-27-05, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Personally I would go ahead and wire for 7.1. There are no dvds that are in 7.1, but newer receivers will take 6.1 and make it 7.1. I am doing a bad job of describing it, but basically things are shifting towards 7.1. It is an extra cable why not just run it.
Old 05-27-05, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
I agree with wiring for 7.1 if you have the option. It won't cost that much more, and when that becomes the standard down the line, you can upgrade knowing you won't have to rewire.
Old 05-27-05, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

DVDs with DD-EX or DTS-ES are 6.1. There is no 7.1 encoding method at this time. So 7.1 is the same as 6.1, but with 2 speakers in back playing the same thing.

Now there are a couple decoding formats that are actually 7.1. Logic 7 from the Harman group and Dolby Pro Logic IIx have 7.1 output. These will take your stereo, 5.1, or 6.1 recordings and upgrade them to 7.1. I imagine it depends on the recording as to whether artificial 7.1 sounds better.
Old 05-27-05, 02:03 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Why not be ready for at least the next decade and wire for 11.1?
Old 05-27-05, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by X
Why not be ready for at least the next decade and wire for 11.1?
Not too far off.

When I built my theater I ran cable everywhere for everything. Speaker cable, video cable, cat 5 cable, etc., just in case.

I agree with the thread that since there is little to no material that would take advantage of 7.1, I would not worry about that.
Old 05-27-05, 03:09 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
7.1 is one better, isn't it?
Old 05-27-05, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
No, not exactly

http://www.dolby.com/consumer/home_e...oomlayout.html
Old 05-27-05, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree X. But when I stand in my room and look around, I can't see a need for any more speakers. Maybe 4 channels across the front to get better voice location if your TV is wide enough, but that's pretty damn wide. Mine is very wide and I really don't think more than 3 is necessary.

I keep hearing about companies like Dolby working on height channels. I suppose that would be ok. But your brain usually makes it seem like the sound comes from low or high anyway.

I think they should concentrate on people having more subs. And the outputs, EQing and other calibration necessary for multiple subs.
Old 05-27-05, 07:11 PM

Since the walls are open, definitely run 2 pair of wires to the back for a full 7.1 setup in the future.

My rcvr is also 6.1 but I have the dual rear center speakers wired in series (- from amp to - on L spkr, + from amp to + on R spkr, + on L speaker to - on R spkr). Just recalibrate to adjust the speaker level. I had to increase my rear channel 2 or 3 notches on the rcvr.

Try to use whatever your left/right surround speakers are for the rear surrounds and you'll be set.
Old 05-28-05, 10:17 AM

Thanks for all the response, guys! I'll wire it for 7.1... we'll see if the budget allows a new receiver at the same time ; )

I'm still trying to decide between a DLP HDTV or a projector to use in there, which is where the majority of the budget will go. I'll start a new thread for that.
Old 05-28-05, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
When I wired my media room, I wired for 6.1 as I knew I would have an extra speaker after changing my living room system. However I obviously wasn't thinking well, as I will have two extra speakers (in the living room I'm going to go with recessed ceiling speakers) so I could have done 7.1. Ah well, live and learn.
Old 05-28-05, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

sdallnct, do you think you can pull a new wire with the old one? You could upgrade it to a 4 conductor wire, or just 2 wires if this is possible.
Old 05-28-05, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
Originally Posted by Spiky
sdallnct, do you think you can pull a new wire with the old one? You could upgrade it to a 4 conductor wire, or just 2 wires if this is possible.
Oh I could do it. After pulling 6 + 4 for video and 1 for a power cord, I pretty good at it. To be honest, I don't know if I want to pop another 2 holes in the ceiling and I'd have to cover the one I already made.

If I understand it correctly even if I buy a 7.1 receiver I can still do 6.1 right? I'll probably get a 7.1 receiver, only run 6.1 now and when I do another upgrade in the media room re-do the rear center channels.
Old 05-28-05, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I meant without making any new holes. You could run the lines to the 2 speakers from the current spot. Of course, I'm assuming here, if that doesn't work with the room, it doesn't work.

But yeah, you can always do 6.1, I did for quite a while. Just leave one unused, even if the menu claims it's on.
Old 06-03-05, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
This one goes to eleven.
Old 06-03-05, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hello,

Ok -- I have a question. I just bought the Pioneer VSX-515-K (you can see the exact specs here: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...tailComponent). It's advertised as 6.1 on the box. But many times in the manual it mentiones how to set it up for 7.1. It also has 2 (two) seperate jacks for L and R BACK surrounds (centers) in addition to the traditional L and R rear. That is the 7.1 layout as far as i know.... Now this also has the Pro-Logic IIx. So does that mean it will support 7.1 when it's available (that is, independant L and R back surrounds?). Doesn't pro-Logic always mean simulated? Or am I wrong... I am just curious, because as I mentioned, i bought this for 6.1, but between the hook-ups and the manual, it makes it seem like it is capable of handling 7.1 when it comes to DVD....

Thanks,

Matt!
Old 06-03-05, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

7.1 used to start with the 7-series Pioneers...but that may have changed.

I went 7.1 about 4 years back, and I'm still not entirely convinced that I like it more than 5.1. I don't know if I can verbalize it, but my 5.1 system used to have some directional properties that I really liked, and the 7.1 just seems to take away from my rear surrounds. Doubt that makes any sense at all...and it probably has as much to do with changes to listening space as it does anything else.

AFAIK, 7.1 is just 6.1 with two speakers in back. I've thought many times about using my two rear surrounds in place of my front center (they are horribly underworked), moving the front center to the rear center, and using my rear center pair as my rear surrounds.

Bottom line: I'd experiment a bit with the listening space before doing anything beyond 5.1.
Old 06-03-05, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

But...

6.1, technically is 1 center channel in the rear. 7.1 is 2 center channels in the rear. However, are the 7.1 rear centers each their own independant stream? I would imagine that 6.1 with 2 rear centers would have the same feed coming from both r. centers. does my question make sense?

Thanks,

Matt
Old 06-03-05, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

With DTS-ES and DD-EX, the rears in 7.1 are mono, both playing the same ACTUAL signal. If you upgrade to DLPIIx, the rears are stereo, although simulated. Harman's Logic 7 (another decoding algorithm) is also simulated stereo in the rears.

Oh, and if you have a 5.1 disc, and you play it with the EX or ES turned on (no DPLIIx), you will have mono SIMULATED rears in a 7.1 setup.
Old 06-03-05, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So,

Since the sound will be EXACTLY the same from both center rears, should i even bother running two entire lengths of speaker wire to the back of the room? Or can i just run one -- then connect the two speakers with a short run of cable.... kinda like daisy chaining them....Oh wait -- you said, with DLPIIX (which mine supports) it will simulate a stereo effect at least so maybe I will run bother lengths of wire.......

Matt

Last edited by KillerQ; 06-03-05 at 01:04 PM.
Old 06-03-05, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Connecting 2 speakers to one wire/amp channel causes other issues. If you connect them in parallel, it halves the impedance seen by the amp, which can stress it out much faster. If you connect them in series, it halves the power to each speaker, making the 2 only as loud as one. (I hope I have parallel and series in the correct sentences)

The real reason to have 2 speaker in the back instead of one (before IIx where they are stereo) is to have better angles to hit your ears. There really isn't any other reason if they are identical mono.
Old 06-03-05, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The real reason to have 2 speaker in the back instead of one (before IIx where they are stereo) is to have better angles to hit your ears. There really isn't any other reason if they are identical mono.
This also makes you ready to upgrade the amp to true 7.1 when available/desired without worrying about running new cable.
Old 06-03-05, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What is "true 7.1"?
Old 06-03-05, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What is "true 7.1"?
Right now, there is nothing I've seen with 7.1 discrete channels, but I believe that both Dolby and dts are promising at least that (maybe more) for HD DVD. All I'm saying is that he will already have the speakers/wiring in place to support it when the equipment/software becomes available.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.