DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Question about DVD recording/editing (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/422416-question-about-dvd-recording-editing.html)

Lee Harvey Oswald 05-12-05 10:33 PM

Question about DVD recording/editing

Sorry if this has been asked alot, I tried searching but didn't find an answer I understood.

I'm looking for a DVD recorder, either to hook up to the tv or computer - prefer tv. I want to be able to re-record dvds and be able to edit them. Is there anything for around $200 that can easily do this? I'm not very tech savy.

I have a bunch of sports games on dvd and want to be able to make "highlight reels" of certain players, games, etc.

I've been seeing alot of vhs to dvd/dvd to vhs but am having a hard time finding dvd/dvd.

Chew 05-13-05 06:24 AM

The reason you're having a hard time finding info on dvd/dvd is because nearly all dvd copying would be illegal (ie any that are copyrighted) and we can't talk about it here. See this thread.

Spiky 05-13-05 09:20 AM

There are recorders right at $200, now. Or even cheaper. You won't get much quality cheaper, though. I just picked up the Panny ES10, MSRP 200. Haven't even had a chance to burn anything yet. Supposedly it is quite decent for the money.

To do real editing you want to use a PC or a HDD model. Editing in real time is a pain. A HDD model will still cost at least $400 street. If you find one for less, it's a good buy, assuming it isn't a complete scratch-n-dent mess.

Copying anything with copy protection on it is illegal, as Chew said. I believe all pre-recorded DVDs have copy protection.

Lee Harvey Oswald 05-13-05 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Chew
The reason you're having a hard time finding info on dvd/dvd is because nearly all dvd copying would be illegal (ie any that are copyrighted) and we can't talk about it here. See this thread.

But they have dvd to vhs recorders and vice versa. That's illegal too.

Spiky 05-14-05 11:57 AM

They don't record from DVD to VCR if the DVD is copy protected. Just because they are in one machine doesn't mean it can do it.

Lee Harvey Oswald 05-14-05 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Spiky
They don't record from DVD to VCR if the DVD is copy protected. Just because they are in one machine doesn't mean it can do it.

I know. My point was why don't they make dvd to dvd recorders if the dvd's are copy protected - it wouldn't work anyway. I don't want to copy copy protected dvds - I want to copy home movies and stuff I taped off tv.

slcsnkman 05-20-05 04:42 PM

you have to relize not every one that copies and edits dvds and buys dvd -Rs is doing something illegal. Some of us have kids and put pictures and movies on dvd -Rs and RW's so relax with the pirate shit

Spiky 05-20-05 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by slcsnkman
you have to relize not every one that copies and edits dvds and buys dvd -Rs is doing something illegal. Some of us have kids and put pictures and movies on dvd -Rs and RW's so relax with the pirate shit

New here?

X 05-20-05 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by slcsnkman

I'm afraid you don't understand the DMCA or DVD Talk's policy concerning not discussing copying DVDs.