Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

How limiting is DVI with new purchases?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-05, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all,

I am about 4.6 seconds away from getting this 65 Inch Mitsubishi (Model: WS-65315)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1077625453350

Now, It has DVI input (already HDCP compatible, so no worries there). At this time, is it safe to assume that the pic quality between HDMI and DVI is exactly the same?

Now, I also know that HDMI has room to grow as far as not reaching the bandwidth limit yet - so that makes me worry. Since there's no HDMI port, will I regret that in the next few years? I am not worried about audio (I use optical) - I am just worried about the video.

So in other words, am I buying a new car here with a cd player, right before mp3 becomes the standard? (this is an analogy; don't tell me that this isn't a car forum).

It's just frustrating that HDMI and DVI are both new formats, but it seems like one may be totally limited already..... I also know that there are DVI to HDMI converter cables, but the cable will be limited to the transfer of the DVI ( I am assuming )....

Anyone else consider this while buying their TV as well?

Thanks guys,

Matt
Old 04-25-05, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
I am in the exact situation as you are,I am THIS close to buying this TV as well but am worried about the no HDMI port.

I am not trying to jack your thread but i have a somewhat related question also.I noticed when i was in BB Saturday they had this TV marked as a Clearance item.Anyone know what the deal is?Is there a new 65" model coming out,and if so will it be about the same price?Or should i get this model while it is still available?
Old 04-25-05, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Max...,

Hey -- Can you email me at [email protected] with some more info. That is, was the TV the same model? What was the advertised price? What zip code are you in, so i can look the ad up..... I'll try and help you out...

Thanks,

Matt
Old 04-25-05, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Without knowing anything about that TV, I would bet the price of it that there is a new model coming out. Probably in the same price range, if not exactly or just a bit lower. Lower than the current model's original price, that is. Certainly not lower than a clearance/open box price.

DVI and HDMI have the same video signal, Matt. The only difference is the plug and the mandated audio and copy protection of HDMI. Didn't you ask this before? HDMI is a specific form of DVI. I think it is the 4th different plug in the DVI realm.
Old 04-25-05, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just to throw another wrench in your thinking I wanted to mention something else so you can draw your own conclusions. Over at the SPot some pro calibrators have discussed that the DVI/HDMI on this TV, and others brands as well, process the signal in such a way that you get better PQ from using component connections. So unless you're using DVI/HDMI for reasons like an up converting DVD player or a cable STB that requires HDCP for certain channels you might find yourself not even using this connection once you compare PQ between the connection types. Remember this is an analog TV so using a digital connection doesn't gain you anything and in some reported cases such as this it might actually detract.
Old 04-25-05, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hello....

What "Spot" are you refering to? I would like to get more details on what they said about this TV. Also, th only thing I would use the DVI conenction for would be for an Upconverting Samsung DVD player which I would buy when i get this tv. I wonder if the DVI PQ with an upconverting DVD player would still be a lot better than component video on a "regular" DVD player. That would be awesome if the component was better - that way I could keep my High end Panasonic player that I love....

Thanks for the info,

Matt!
Old 04-25-05, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Spot = HomeTheaterSpot.com

Search for post by CraigR. He's the one who did my calibration and really knows the technical side of Mits HDTVs.

If you buy a Mits I would stay away from the up converting players since the Mits displays 480p natively and there's no reason to upconvert. If you have one of the older Panny players with the Faroudja chip like mine then definitely don't up convert as I can vouch that this type of player mated with the Mits once calibrated looks fantastic.
Old 04-25-05, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hello...

I have the Panasonic DVD-RP82 - see it HERE

If this TV only displays 480p natively -- does that make it bad? Which TV's have a higher native resolution....? I thought all HD widescreens would have been the same as far as that went.... I know this one "upconverts to 480" if that makes a difference...

Thanks,

Matt

Last edited by KillerQ; 04-25-05 at 02:51 PM.
Old 04-25-05, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It can display 2 native resolutions, 1080i and 480p. The 480p matches perfectly to your RP82, so that would be the best choice for DVD. When you watch actual HD, you would use the 1080i.

That RP82 is one of the most famous players ever. Be nice to it, you could probably sell it for double what you paid right now. Maybe even if it was broken.
Old 04-25-05, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hello...

Well, that's good to hear about my player.... It actually still has the pop up sign on it from the box (you know, the one advertising all of the features)....

Thanks for your post -- it made perfect sense.... However, if upconverted, the new dvd player would "display" at 1080 as well -- right?

Thanks,

Matt!
Old 04-25-05, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wouldn't worry about the lack of an HDMI input. I have the 55 inch version of that set - it is amazing, especially considering the price. I have my DVD player (Denon 2910) hooked up to a component input and my HD Cable box hooked up to the DVI input.

HDMI is a convenient cable (as it can provide both audio and video potentially), but (as far as I know) not any "better" than DVI.

enjoy the new set!
Old 04-25-05, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hello...

Great....thanks for the info... See, now the only thing that kinda bugs be is that these nice CRT based RP tv's are analog, and everything new is digital (dlp, lcd) so it seems like we are buying old stuff -- when we're not, ya know?

Matt!
Old 04-26-05, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ok,

So the native resolutions for this TV are 480p and 1080i. Is it safe to assume that any 720p will be upconverted to 1080? ALso, what sources are 720p? upconverting dvd player, that will simply send 1080 right from the source - instead of 480 -- right?

Man, it's just weird that technology that is several years old can have a better picture than the brand new stuff...

Thanks,

Matt
Old 04-26-05, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

CRT generally has a smoother, more film-like picture than the digital technologies. Many people like that better. But it will always be an analog technology, you can't let that bother you. Speakers are analog, too.

And yes, 720p would be converted to 1080i. It would probably be better to let the source convert, though. It usually seems to be better to give the TV its native resolution. Most or all HD tuners have the option of outputting just 1080i, even if the channel is 720p.
Old 04-26-05, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Spiky,

YGM
Old 04-28-05, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
DVD players with a HDMI output can connect to a DVI input using a converter, however there are problems with blacker than black and whiter than white not being passed through properly. There are also problems with color spaces.

I'd buy a TV with HDMI. This gives you the widest possible choice of DVD players, and possibly HD-DVD players as well.
Old 04-28-05, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Really? I hadn't seen commentary on that. DVI/HDMI should have the exact same video signal. Only copy protection should be different, and not necessarily. Are you sure you aren't comparing HD/progressive signals to SD/interlaced? Those 2 groups have different black settings in most players. Or is it a specific monitor or player with this problem?
Old 04-28-05, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Spiky
Really? I hadn't seen commentary on that. DVI/HDMI should have the exact same video signal. Only copy protection should be different, and not necessarily. Are you sure you aren't comparing HD/progressive signals to SD/interlaced? Those 2 groups have different black settings in most players. Or is it a specific monitor or player with this problem?
This is correct. One has copy protection and the other does not. I do not think one is better than the other.
Old 04-28-05, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DVI and HDMI carry the same signal except for CP and audio. The differences are in the player and/or the display. Some players output a PC RGB signal which is different from a NTSC or ATSC signal. Also some displays will take the pure digital signal and display it without any alterations and others will convert it to component for example. Converting DVI to HDMI doesn't change the signal it only changes the pin configuration.
Old 04-28-05, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Spiky
Yes, really.

Example here:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=122#ToshibaSD-5980%20(HDMI)
Old 04-28-05, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by That70sGuy
This is correct. One has copy protection and the other does not. I do not think one is better than the other.
No, both have copy protection. However, HDMI must have HDCP. DVI does not. But, good luck finding any TV these days with DVI that doesn't have HDCP. There are some, very few, DVD players that don't have HDCP over DVI (Oppo comes to mind).
Old 04-29-05, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a HDTiVo hooked up to the DVI input on my Toshiba HDTV and really wanted to get one of those new Oppo upconvert DVD players w/DVI, but was holding back since I only have one DVI input. Having read chipmac's comment on how some TV models look better in HD through component, I'll have to give that a try when I get home. Maybe I'll get that Oppo after all.
Old 04-29-05, 09:46 AM

Maxflier - I am in the exact situation as you are,I am THIS close to buying this TV as well but am worried about the no HDMI port.

I am not trying to jack your thread but i have a somewhat related question also.I noticed when i was in BB Saturday they had this TV marked as a Clearance item.Anyone know what the deal is?Is there a new 65" model coming out,and if so will it be about the same price?Or should i get this model while it is still available?
Hi guys, I bought this TV back when it first came out at the end of August 04. I don't know why they have it marked as clearance since most Mit. TV's come out in August. Just out of curiosity what are the prices that they are going for? I got mine the first day it came out for $2,000.00. I have my DirectTV HD receiver hook up thru DVI and it looks stunning, there really isn't that much of a difference between the DVI and the component hook ups. For some reason the only HD channel that the TV doesnt convert from 720 to 1080 is ESPN all the other HD channels are 1080i native. I hope I answered a couple of your guy's questions. If you do decide on getting this TV you will be extremely happy.
Old 04-29-05, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by neo247
Just out of curiosity what are the prices that they are going for? I got mine the first day it came out for $2,000.00.

Even though it is marked for clearance,it is still priced at $2,000.

And it has another tag on it that says the price was ~$2250 2 months ago,which i think is bullshit since i don't remember ever seeing it priced that high,and it has been on sale for around $1899 as long as i can remember.

Last edited by Maxflier; 04-29-05 at 10:06 AM.
Old 04-29-05, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Shazam
Yes, really.

Example here:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=122#ToshibaSD-5980%20(HDMI)
Oh, I get it. Like I said, that is an individual problem for a particular machine that screwed up one of the outputs. It is not because of limitations of the DVI interface, rather an issue with that model. Here's a quote from the Samsung version on the same page:

If you have a DVI-based display though, this player incorrectly converts the RGB levels to PC so you will not get above-white or below-black. But the levels are correct if going HDMI to HDMI.
People definitely need to check out these kinds of specifics before they buy anything if they are interested in the best possible picture. I like Kris' final comment on one of these too, apply it to more than just these 2 models mentioned:

It has its issues which are mainly trivial.... Both players [Tosh 5980, Samsung 850] have caveats, but some may or may not matter to you.

And about the CP where there was some disagreement above...HDMI requires HDCP copy protection, DVI does not require it but it can have it included. There have been TVs with DVI connections that do not have copy protection. These models would probably not be a good choice as HDCP is a fact of life, now. I doubt there would be any new TVs (starting say...summer 2004) with DVI without HDCP since that would be stupid, but you never know. This doesn't really matter for the player, just the TV.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.