Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Still not impressed with DLP

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 04-14-05, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all,

Ok, i have friends and relatives with high-end DLP HDTV's and i have seen many in different specialty stores... Now, no matter where i watch, the movies (DVDs) played on a DLP tv ALWAYS have some kind of motion blur or pixelation going on. Regular movies, as well as new animated movies.... even when i have personally set and tuned all the equipment (tv, dvd player). myself... The new CRT HDTV's don't suffer from this problem at all....makes you think.... And not to mention, digital cable (even HDTV) suffers from pixelation and blur no matter where i see it..... weird....is this just me being too picky?

Matt
Old 04-14-05, 08:56 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Even old CRT HDTVs don't suffer from that problem.

Though I haven't checked out the newest DLP sets myself. It's probably time to check out the current state-of-the-art.
Old 04-14-05, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 409 Likes on 354 Posts
IMHO people are not buying the DLP's and even RP LCD for the ultimate in Picture Quality. They are buying them as they have a huge WAF. Hubby as been trying for years to get a 50" TV in the living room, but wife wouldn't allow "that huge thing in" (still talking tv's here). But now with the RP DLP's and RP LCD, wife is letting the smaller thing in (still talking TV's).

I know when I showed my wife CRT's she would not even look at them. Ever since I showed her the LCD's and DLP's she has been bugging me to get one (I'm been concentrating on my media room with FP). She absolutely couldn't care less about image quality. She just knows she can get a large screened TV in the living room that will still look nice.
Old 04-14-05, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"High-end" DLP/LCD is not something most people understand. If I hear one more person say Grand Wega or Aquos is high-end, I may cry. Or start the killing again. Because both of those have been absolute CRAP since day one. The latest lineups are almost watchable.

For easy reference: I haven't yet seen a RPTV or flat panel that is "high-end". Speaking of LCD/DLP only.
Old 04-15-05, 03:14 AM
sdk

So what would you guys say is the ultimate high end type of tv, as they don't produce 50 inch crt tv's. Plasma or lcd. I prefer plasma over lcd.
Old 04-15-05, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sdallnct
IMHO people are not buying the DLP's and even RP LCD for the ultimate in Picture Quality. They are buying them as they have a huge WAF. Hubby as been trying for years to get a 50" TV in the living room, but wife wouldn't allow "that huge thing in" (still talking tv's here). But now with the RP DLP's and RP LCD, wife is letting the smaller thing in (still talking TV's).
Dingdingding! I think we have a winner here...

I see this situation a lot. And also people (male or female) who just think the flat screens look 'cool' -- not the picture quality, the TV itself.

And, of course, you'll have people who will swear that this is new, digital tech -- so it MUST look better than my rear projection. That opinion just doesn't reflect reality.
Old 04-15-05, 09:36 AM

i wanted a digital tv partly because i use an xbox alot on it, and i dont want to worry about burn in all the time,

partly its also because my wife liked the digital tv better as well, a 61 in digital sits on top of my stand and has all the componants under it instead of a huge box then another separate componant rack
Old 04-15-05, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by swenjj
i wanted a digital tv partly because i use an xbox alot on it, and i dont want to worry about burn in all the time,

partly its also because my wife liked the digital tv better as well, a 61 in digital sits on top of my stand and has all the componants under it instead of a huge box then another separate componant rack
Oh I totally agree there are advantages to getting digital, they work better in brighter rooms, no burn in issues at all, etc. And IMHO having a smaller set is also an advantage. These are all good reasons to get some of these digitial sets.

However, the OP was strickly talking PQ. If your main requirement (or need) is the ultimate PQ, then I think there are few would argue that CRT's (especially profressionally calibrated) would beat all the other types of TV's out there. They are also less expensive (in general). Personally I think this is ALL good. More competition, different types, means better prices, better availablility, etc, etc.
Old 04-15-05, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by KillerQ
Hey all,

Ok, i have friends and relatives with high-end DLP HDTV's and i have seen many in different specialty stores... Now, no matter where i watch, the movies (DVDs) played on a DLP tv ALWAYS have some kind of motion blur or pixelation going on. Regular movies, as well as new animated movies.... even when i have personally set and tuned all the equipment (tv, dvd player). myself... The new CRT HDTV's don't suffer from this problem at all....makes you think.... And not to mention, digital cable (even HDTV) suffers from pixelation and blur no matter where i see it..... weird....is this just me being too picky?

Matt
What are these "high-end DLP HDTV's" that you refer to and what signal source is being used to view them? What DVD player? What DSS source?

I have a sharp 10K DLP projector that I absolutely love. My brother-in-law has a Samsung DLP TV that has a great picture and it has not even been calibrated.

There is more to the quality of a video image than the "box".
Old 04-15-05, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

hello ....

For example, a samsung 46 inch dlp with an upconverting dvi connected dvd player -- looks like crap. even with HD comcast cable. Any of the 6,000 dollar plus plasmas, lcd's, etc that they have at bestbuy, circuit city, or even the specialty stores....and yes, i have calibrated them in the store...

Matt
Old 04-15-05, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For example, a samsung 46 inch dlp with an upconverting dvi connected dvd player -- looks like crap. even with HD comcast cable
Cable in general looks like crap. As for upconverting, what exactly do you think you are gaining by upconverting current dvd's?

Any display device will only look as good as what it is fed and if these are the signals you are reaching your conclusions with, I suggest checking out some true HD feeds from Discovery or HD Net or some reference DVD's without trying to upconvert them.

and yes, i have calibrated them in the store
IMHO, you cannot do a meaningful calibration standing in a store.
Old 04-15-05, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hello....

Tried HD Discover and other channels -- tried dvd's without upconverting.... ok -- let me clarify - the main problem is anytime there is fast motion, it's blurry. bottom line.
Old 04-15-05, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I don't know what you've been looking at but my 61" Samsung DLP is absolutely amazing. Comcast Cable HD is absolutely breathtaking (DiscoveryHD in particular.) Some discs are definately better than others when it comes to their visual presentation however a few stand outs I've experienced have been: LOTR TC & EE, Ghost In The Shell 2, and the Star Trek SE's. I had not been "working on" getting an RPTV prety enough to make the wife happy either. I did my homework, compared it to the other sets on the market and felt that this was the best way to spend $5k on a moderately appointed HT.
Old 04-15-05, 07:01 PM

And to add, I've never had any blurring or pixellation of any kind during any DVD watching or HD Cable broadcast.
Old 04-16-05, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I bought an RP 6 months ago and figure I'll get the good out of it for a few years, watch the prices on the DLPs drop and their quality improve. I can DEFINITELY see the WAF being a big part of the buying market these days. being single with a 13 year old son, only guys in the house made my decision easier
Old 04-16-05, 03:14 AM

I see nothing but pixelation on DLPs and jaggies on hd broadcasts as well.
Old 04-16-05, 08:27 AM

I have noticed with my LCD that most dvd movies have ugly pixelation. Just recently Oceans 12 was very pixelated in darker scenes but a supposedly lesser movie I watched was bright and clear with no pixelation. It seems the source is the problem. Maybe CRT sets make a broader range of source material palatable where LCD or the like define problems more.

As for motion blur, doesn't bother me, real life motion is blurred. There are game companies adding motion blur to games to accent fast action.

Last edited by Teisco; 04-16-05 at 08:34 AM.
Old 04-16-05, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Teisco,
That is probably a problem wtih your DVD player. The dark scenes issue. Check your black level setting.

Killer is correct about panning artifacts from LCD and DLP. I don't know why everyone is beating up on him. As I mentioned, they originally were VERY bad and they have gotten better. But this is still a known issue with both technologies. Horizontal pans esp are difficult for them to keep up with. The faster refresh rates on LCD have helped, as have the faster color wheels in DLP.

The answer to SDK is probably 3-chip DLP or LCOS or something else that is currently in the $10k+ range. Apparently Sony's Qualia with whatver their version of LCOS is called is amazing. And for something like $30k you can have one, too!
Old 04-16-05, 10:18 AM

I'm not trying to "beat up" on anyone and I apologize if it sounded that way. I just don't see any of the things being discussed here on my set. The one thing I can say that I don't like about my DLP is Fleshtones. On a couple of flicks the palor of the characters has been abysmal. For instance, on Master & Commander the fleshtones in the darker scenes are pretty poor. They almost look like a reverse/negative image. Additionally, the night scenes on the ocean don't look nearly as stunning as I think they should. Current DLP is not the ultimate in HT viewing but it was definately worth it for my money. In researching these sets, I found the LCD to be the most problematic. Pixellation and blurring were very apparent. But that's just my 0.02. By the way what does "WAF" mean? And again, nothing personal in my previous posts.
Old 04-16-05, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Killer is correct about panning artifacts from LCD and DLP. I don't know why everyone is beating up on him
I don't think anyone is being "beat up".

Every video display device has issues. My point was that trying to evaluate a product like this in a "Big Box store" is tough and trying to do a calibration by using the remote control is impossible.

I'll bow out of the discussion by saying that I am still impressed with my Sharp 10K DLP projector on sports, HD as well as DVD and I am still impressed with my brother-in-laws Samsung DLP tv. In the end everyone needs to choose what they like the best.
Old 04-16-05, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well I would say then at least one thing can be agreed on;

Where ever you buy, know and understand their return policy. That it is important to have time to evaluate it, have it calibrated, but hopefully still have time to return it if you are not happy.