DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Newbies.. need help on HDTV and progressive scan dvd player (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/418534-newbies-need-help-hdtv-progressive-scan-dvd-player.html)

gameover2k2 04-14-05 01:48 PM

Newbies.. need help on HDTV and progressive scan dvd player

Hi, i just bought the Phillip 30 Inch HDTV from phillip outlet and also order the Malata progressive scan from amazon.

How to I suppose to connect this two to get a optimum viewing, do I need any other wire or cord (i heard something about monster cable), do I need a new component cable (or whatever it's call), I also have an xbox, cube and ps2, if i need to buy the new component, what are the best choices? thank you

Spiky 04-14-05 11:13 PM

Component video probably. Unless both of those have a matching digital/computer connection: VGA, DVI or HDMI.

Skip Monster and get a cheaper cable that looks about the same, should be just as good. Acoustic Research is easy to find.

gameover2k2 04-15-05 12:53 PM

Thank you for your answer, i can get this component cord at Blockbuster right (have tons of credit). it should be red/white/green instead of yellow/white/red right? thank you

Brian Shannon 04-15-05 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by gameover2k2
Thank you for your answer, i can get this component cord at Blockbuster right (have tons of credit). it should be red/white/green instead of yellow/white/red right? thank you

No a component cable would be red, green and blue. The audio cable will depend on what type of input your tv or receiver has. As for the XBox, there is a cable set made for HDTV that you need to have.

Spiky 04-16-05 09:14 AM

Does Blockbuster sell cables? I guess if they do you can probably get it there.

gameover2k2 04-16-05 03:07 PM

Yeah, i got the component cable from Blockbuster, it was pretty cheap ring up at $4.99. I hook it up to my dvd and HDTV set, however, nothing happened, until I also hook up my RCA (the yellow/white/red) cable with it. Is that they way I suppose to hook it up with six wires (RCA (yellow/white/red) AND component (Blue/Green/red)?) do I just need to hook up the component to get the picture and sound (if yes, how come i didn't see any image on the TV? ) thank you again

X 04-16-05 03:34 PM

Component only does the video. You'll need the standard red and white for audio.

gameover2k2 04-16-05 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by X
Component only does the video. You'll need the standard red and white for audio.

I'll give it a try again tonight when i have time then, last night, when I put the component wire with my TV it didn't intercept any video signal until i put he RCA in there.. thank you...

shelland 04-16-05 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by gameover2k2
I'll give it a try again tonight when i have time then, last night, when I put the component wire with my TV it didn't intercept any video signal until i put he RCA in there.. thank you...

Almost sounds like you maybe aren't setting your TV to the component input? If you get video as soon as you hook up the yellow RCA cable (video) to the TV, then you're not pulling the video signal through your component cables.

eiker_ir 04-17-05 11:10 PM

i remember when i first connected my player to the TV with component cables, there was this little switch in the back to select which cables i was using for video(normal, s-video or component).

i don't know maybe you have to do something similar.

shelland 04-18-05 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by eiker_ir
i remember when i first connected my player to the TV with component cables, there was this little switch in the back to select which cables i was using for video(normal, s-video or component).

I would guess the input on the TV has to be changed in some way, or maybe the output on the DVD player (does it need to be set to output Progressive Scan to send the video through component?).