Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

VCR or DVD-R hookup w/ DVR & digital cable?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 04-14-05, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got digital cable (w/ DVR). Can't seem to get anything to work at all while I have my VCR or standalone DVD recorder hooked up to it.

Is macrovision stopping me from even just viewing digital cable through my VCR or DVD recorder? Is it not possible for me to even record South Park or the news onto a VHS or recordable DVD for use on my other TVs? Can I transfer a recording from the DVR to VHS?

Or do I just not have it hooked up right? I had everything set up according to the diagrams. Even played around on my own.

Any ideas? Am I forgetting to hit a switch or something?
Old 04-14-05, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

We'll need a whole lot more details about how you have things connected to each other.
Old 04-14-05, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Double check the In vs Out connections.

Out of DVR, In to VCR/DVDR.
Out of VCR/DVDR, In to TV.

I'm assuming. We could use more detail.
Old 04-14-05, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll double check the connections. I tried what Spiky said, but I may have not had the TV on the right channel (input 1).

Basically I have a Sharp TV (with line ins on the front and back). Sony VCR. And a Coby DVD-R (has a tuner). Like I said, I'll redo it and double check the connections and see what happens.

But it should be possible to record on to VHS what I have taped from the DVR, right?
Old 04-14-05, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think so. I think my parents can with their Comcast DVR. I certainly can with my DirecTivos.
Old 04-14-05, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Figured it out. The DVR had "VCR-OUT" plugs which I stupidly used to put the VCR-OUT cables in! What was I thinking? Got it working when I put the cables to the VCR in the "TV-OUT" plugs.

Thanks for the replies, guys.
Old 04-18-05, 04:03 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
Figured it out. The DVR had "VCR-OUT" plugs which I stupidly used to put the VCR-OUT cables in! What was I thinking? Got it working when I put the cables to the VCR in the "TV-OUT" plugs.

Thanks for the replies, guys.
I have Charter DVR, and the 'VCR-OUT' is used for recording. With Charter's setup, the user selects the recorded program on the DVR channel, then chooses the option 'Copy to VCR'. Before a firmware upgrade (I assume b/c one day I noticed the option 'Copy to VCR'), the only way to record to my DVD-R, was to watch the program being recorded by using the 'TV-OUT' function. Now I can watch another program while recording, DVR other programs, etc ...

Also, this doesn't affect the digital output b/c you have to use the RCA Composite conections to record.
Old 04-22-05, 08:27 PM

Hi,

I recently acquired the comcast dvr, and after two phones calls to comcast and a visit to this site I found out how to connect my vcr to the dvr BUT I have to keep the vcr on at all times...are there any ways to avoid this?

Tidia