Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

NHT sw10 Sub went dead

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

NHT sw10 Sub went dead

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-05, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NHT sw10 Sub went dead

My sub just went dead and I am wondering if there is anything I should check before taking it back to a authorized repair place. It was working fine one day then the next there is no sound coming out at all, it is still getting power it is just not putting out sound. should I try replacing the cable, could it be my receiver (Harman kardon avr 525). the rest of my speakers work just fine.
Old 04-04-05, 12:34 PM

First, double-check your sub is still set to "on" or "yes" in the HK's setup menu, and that the sub volume is turned up. Make sure the cable's still plugged in at both ends.

Next, if you can swap the cable that's the first thing to check. If it now works, delete the bad cable.

If not...

Turn off the sub, turn its volume control down. Take another source (CD player, etc.) over to the sub and plug it directly into the input jacks. Play the source, turn on the sub, slowly bring up the volume, just until you're sure there is or isn't any sound. If there is (it'll obviously be only very low bass*, so be sure the source has bass in it), then it's something in the receiver. Setup issue, bad subwoofer out jack, something worse.

If not...

It's dead, Jim.

RichC

*This can be a very instructive exercise for anyone, to actually hear exactly what parts of music are within a subwoofer's range. Many people are surprised when they do this test.
Old 04-04-05, 01:49 PM

thanks I will try that when I get home