DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Looking to get the next step up from an Infocus X1

Old 04-02-05, 09:40 AM

Looking to get the next step up from an Infocus X1

I'm (hopefully) coming into some money in the next few months and am definetly getting a projector.

I've had my eye on the X1 for some time now as it came very highly recommended at its price range. The only thing that is disswaying me now is its resolution (standard SVGA resolution (800x600)).

In thinking about it, I'd love to just drop $800 on it when I get the money.
but with the HD format on the horizon, I'd like to be able to have equipment to support it correctly when I finally take that leap.

My question is: does Infocus have a "next step up" projector that performs like the X1 at a comparable price range (I know it'll be more)? and has anyone had any usage of it that they can share their experiences with it?

I at least want something that will handle a 1280x1024 Pixel resolution for (hopefully) under $2000. I'm definetly a bang for your buck type so I'm looking to spend as little money on a product that excels at performance (for example I own a Panasonic RP91 player and a Pioneer VSX-1014TX receiver ...good quality, low price).

I will add that I hate Sony, so they are DEFINETLY out.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 04-02-05, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I believe the next step up is the Infocus 4805, but I don't think it has the pixel resolution you are seeking. I believe it is a very good unit though and is around $1200 give or take a hundred.
Old 04-02-05, 10:16 AM

I was looking at the specs on the dell website for the 4805 and the resolution has 3 different specs. anyone care to translate?

Max Resolution: 854 x 480
Max Resolution: 854 x 480 (native) / 1024 x 768 (compressed)
Max Resolution: Up to 1024x768 Pixels

Plus I can't find a max throw ratio (how big a picture before losing quality).

Last edited by AsmodeusVice; 04-02-05 at 10:19 AM.
Old 04-02-05, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i just picked up a panny 700 for $1704 after rebaete and i'm very happy with it. it's my first projector but HD is awesome on it. it is one of the most affordable true HD models available.
Old 04-02-05, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by broadwayblue
i just picked up a panny 700 for $1704 after rebaete and i'm very happy with it. it's my first projector but HD is awesome on it. it is one of the most affordable true HD models available.
Is is TRUE HD? I thought true HD projectors were still few and far between and very expensive?

In doing research before I bought my X1 I found out it will broadcast HD. Of course it won't be true HD, but it will broadcast it.
Old 04-02-05, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
Is is TRUE HD? I thought true HD projectors were still few and far between and very expensive?

In doing research before I bought my X1 I found out it will broadcast HD. Of course it won't be true HD, but it will broadcast it.
yes, the native resolution of the panny is 1280x720 which is an HD format. many projectors can accept an HD signal but lack the native resolution to display it (X1, 4805 for example.) as a result they downconvert it to their native resolution. HD can still look very good on those models...but I wanted an HD native unit so I went with the panny. it's incredible what you can get these days for less than $2000.
Old 04-03-05, 12:00 AM

Another concern I have is hooking up multiple components to the projector.

For example, I'll have my DVD player and PS2 hooked up component, my Gamecube and my VCR (yes I still use it from time to time) with S-video.

I know there are probably products that act like a junction before plugging into the projector, but what are they so I can start looking? and do you lose any picture quality by using them?
Old 04-03-05, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

your best bet would be to use an AV receiver and have it switch all your inputs. basically you can run multiple sources through it and have it output to one or two cables connected to your projector. i'm in need of a new receiver myself...but i'm holding off until HDMI switching receivers are available...that way i can connect my HDMI cable box, DVD player, and next generation consoles (Xbox 2, ps3, etc.) to the receiver and then have one HDMI cable connect them all to my projector. i've already run the cable through the wall...now i just need the receiver. hopefully they'll be out by the end of the year.
Old 04-03-05, 04:48 AM

well I have a Pioneer VSX-1014TX receiver, but I was under the understanding that the only video signals that would be output from the receiver are the ones that you have running OUT of your receiver with the same type of cable.

For instance, I would have 2 component hookups and 2 S-video hookups IN to the receiver, BUT my output cable to the TV (or projector) would be component.
Now I thought that by hooking it up in this fashion, only the component hookups would be usable and the S-video would not (beings that I don't have the receiver's output through S-video).

I haven't experimented with it because I don't use any video inputs in my receiver, I have everything now hooked up directly into the TV.
Old 04-03-05, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I believe that that particular receiver will pass the other hookups through the component video output so you only need one cable going to the projector. I am also under the understanding that the Infocus 4805 looks better than the Panasonic on a DVD source. HD would obviously be different, but it depends on what you are going to be using mostly. If you had a high end DVD player, the Panasonic would be a better choice.

Originally Posted by AsmodeusVice
well I have a Pioneer VSX-1014TX receiver, but I was under the understanding that the only video signals that would be output from the receiver are the ones that you have running OUT of your receiver with the same type of cable.

For instance, I would have 2 component hookups and 2 S-video hookups IN to the receiver, BUT my output cable to the TV (or projector) would be component.
Now I thought that by hooking it up in this fashion, only the component hookups would be usable and the S-video would not (beings that I don't have the receiver's output through S-video).

I haven't experimented with it because I don't use any video inputs in my receiver, I have everything now hooked up directly into the TV.
Old 04-03-05, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a Pioneer VSX-1014TX as well hooked up to a Sanyo PLV-Z2 (720P) projector and looks great with DVDs, PS2 games, HDTV, computer work, you name it. I compared it to a X1 and X1a and there was no comparison, having a true HD projector made all the difference. I got mine for $1450 back in December.
Old 04-04-05, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I got the Panasonic AE700 (check out my Sig). I love it, its true HD.
Old 04-05-05, 12:35 AM
Mod Emeritus

My question is: does Infocus have a "next step up" projector that performs like the X1 at a comparable price range (I know it'll be more)? and has anyone had any usage of it that they can share their experiences with it?
As svadas has already mentioned, the 4805 is the "next step up" from Infocus. Based on the specs you mention, the Panny might be a closer choice though. I don't believe it does quite the resolution you want native, but from what I've seen it certainly offers quite a bit of "bang for the buck".

I was looking at the specs on the dell website for the 4805 and the resolution has 3 different specs. anyone care to translate? ...
The 4805 will display a 854 x 480 image without doing any thing "special". That's a good step below the resoluton you're looking for, though it still can make for a nice image. By adding in electronic manipulation it can handle input of 1024x768, this won't look as good as it would on a "native" 1024x768 projector though.
Old 04-05-05, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There's a bunch of funny-looking pieces of paper stuck together and covered with strange black markings. It came with your receiver and is known as The Manual. Find someone who can decipher those arcane glyphs and much knowledge and power can be yours...
Old 04-05-05, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by drmoze
There's a bunch of funny-looking pieces of paper stuck together and covered with strange black markings. It came with your receiver and is known as The Manual. Find someone who can decipher those arcane glyphs and much knowledge and power can be yours...
Well smartass , My manual doesn't say anything about it. And my previous amp (Kenwood Vr407) HAD that dilemma.

So I assumed that it was that way with all receivers. Like I said, I haven't tested it with the new receiver because I have everything hooked up directly to the TV now.
Old 04-05-05, 06:12 AM

BTW, Thanks guys for all your help.

I've been doing alot of research since opening this thread, and decided that I might go with the 4805.

I've been reading alot about DLP vs. LCD and it seems to be a common agreement that LCD degrades in quality over time as opposed to DLP, which maintain it's quality throughout ownership (or so I've read).

So I'd rather have a lower res picture that stays consistent than have a higher res LCD that will diminish over time.

I was even thinking about the Infocus 5000 because of this review, but the LCD issue has me wanting to stay DLP.
Old 04-06-05, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Pioneer "upconverts" to component, so if you have S-Video inputs and a Component going to your projector/tv it will send that S-Video signal through the component. You can't however have a component input and a S-Video output.
Old 04-06-05, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The DLP vs LCD debate rages on...

BTW, Thanks guys for all your help.

I've been doing alot of research since opening this thread, and decided that I might go with the 4805.

I've been reading alot about DLP vs. LCD and it seems to be a common agreement that LCD degrades in quality over time as opposed to DLP, which maintain it's quality throughout ownership (or so I've read).

So I'd rather have a lower res picture that stays consistent than have a higher res LCD that will diminish over time.

I was even thinking about the Infocus 5000 because of this review, but the LCD issue has me wanting to stay DLP.
That "article" is bullshit (not referring to your link) and probably a response to the similarly overhyped rainbow effect (a DLP artifact) that LCD companies love to complain about. If you don't know what I mean, ALL discussion of LCD panel fading comes from a "research" project paid for by, guess who, Texas Instruments. Who just happens to be the company that makes the DLP chips. Funny how that works, huh? In this study, they ran an LCD PJ for months straight and ended up with some almost unnoticeable panel damage. There have been zero reports of normal use causing any such thing.

ALL digital projectors will fade over time. It is because the lamp wears out. This is much more dramatic than any "fade" in an LCD panel. All PJs are also susceptible to breaking, failure, catastrophic events. You have to weed out the unfortunate lemons or whatever in this debate, too.

That being said, DLP is mostly a better technology that will probably go further than LCD. I am not saying you should buy LCD instead of DLP, just urging you not to be swayed by FUD, and there is PLENTY of FUD on both sides of this debate. Here's my little story....

I am just about ready to finally get my PJ (funding comes in one week) after wanting/shopping/trying to save/drooling for 3 years. I decided some time ago I will not buy below HD resolution. I have been looking seriously at the Panasonic lineup for some time now, with plans to get an inexpensive LCD in HD rez, keep it for a couple years, then move up to DLP when the price comes down for true HD models. The AE700 looks to be an excellent PJ. However, I am now torn between the new 720p DLPs that have dipped below $3k and the Panny. Toshiba MT700 and BenQ 7700, almost twins, as BenQ makes much of the Tosh. And some older BenQs that have dropped in street price to about $3k.
Old 04-06-05, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I suppose I should add some of the differences in the 2 technologies.

Points for LCD:
1) Cheaper, big point in its favor.
2) Some people have problems with DLP, such as seeing the rainbows and even headaches.
3) The black/contrast issue has been dealt with extraordinarily well. The Panny 700 is far better in this area than most people thought LCD could attain. The Sony HS51 is even better. Filters on the lens can help, also.
4) More competition means faster improvements in the panels. As #3 shows, LCD has come further than anyone really expected.

Points for DLP:
1) Better blacks and contrast.
2) Faster wheels reduce the rainbows so that probably less than 1% of people will have this problem.
3) Price coming down all the time.
4) Tend to be better out of the box in terms of color. But you should calibrate anyway, so not much here. They are both far better than CRT in this area.

As you can see, I can't really say one is definitely better than the other right now. I do think DLP has a longer future.
Old 04-06-05, 01:27 PM

Thanks for all the info Spiky. It really does help in the research.

It's a headache enough to try to find the right projector, now the DLP/LCD debacle comes into play and turns it into a migrane.

But the more info that I have, the better a decision can be made.

Thanks again.