DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

External Antenna for Bose Wave Radio?

Old 03-20-05, 03:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

External Antenna for Bose Wave Radio?

Hi All,

I have a bose wave radio - there is a port in the back for an external antenna - could someone please offer some suggestions on what to add there?

I don't get good reception in my condo since I live in the city - looking for ways to get better radio reception.

Thank you
Old 03-20-05, 02:34 PM

I work in the basement of a metal-framed downtown building. I use one of these with my venerable KLH table radio and it does a good job of pulling in all the stations I normally listen to. YMMV

If you have cable TV, you might also check to see if your cable company includes the local FM band on the coable. Some do (the entire FM band uses about the same bandwidth as one analog TV channel). If so, you might be able to split your cable feed to the radio. (As an experiment, if your cable uses a standard F-connector and your Bose has a matching antenna terminal, try just connecting the cable from the wall directly to the radio and see what you can tune.)

RichC
Old 03-20-05, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

RichC-
THanks for the tip - $29.99 is a bit much just for an FM antenna... plus I was hoping for something smaller - if possible. Any other tips?

I don't have cable TV, so that idea wouldn't work... thanks anyway
Old 03-20-05, 10:09 PM

Have you tried putting up a simple dipole ("T") antenna? Didn't one come with the radio?

RichC
Old 03-21-05, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Even if you don't have cable TV, I'll bet the apartment building has connections for it or a common antenna. Try plugging into one of those to see what reception you get. Cost is just a coax cable, which you may already have.
Old 03-21-05, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

RichC - no antenna came w/ the radio. I called Bose's tech support and they're actually going to send me an FM antenna for free - thumbs up to them.

Spiky - I'd try the cable tv option, however, the room that the wave radio is in is not close to a cable tv coax connection.
Old 03-22-05, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Free is good.
Old 03-22-05, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by MitzEclipse
RichC - no antenna came w/ the radio. I called Bose's tech support and they're actually going to send me an FM antenna for free - thumbs up to them.

Spiky - I'd try the cable tv option, however, the room that the wave radio is in is not close to a cable tv coax connection.
What kind of connector, an F, or other video coax connector?

While you are waiting, a simple antenna is just a wire monopole. Find a piece of wire that when the end is stripped, it fits snuggly in the center pin of the connector. Cut it about 0.75 m long, strip insulation from 5 mm or so and insert. A dipole will perform better, but this is simple and will help until the Bose antenna arrives.
Old 03-27-05, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MitzEclipse
RichC-
THanks for the tip - $29.99 is a bit much just for an FM antenna... plus I was hoping for something smaller - if possible. Any other tips?

I don't have cable TV, so that idea wouldn't work... thanks anyway
If you're willing to pay upwards of $500 for the Bose unit then why is $30 expensive for an FM antenna? Once you find a good way to pull in the signal, you're getting years of free radio programming. If it's something you use alot, $30 is a steal for good reception.
I bought an outdoor FM antenna and mounted it to a pole outside my home to bring in better reception. I've never used one as I live in the sticks, but I've heard alot of good things about the Terk antennas.
Old 03-27-05, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Reminder: Items with the Terk name include around 50-75% markup just for the name. If you find something with the same specs for less, it's not because the Terk is better, it's because the Terk is overpriced.

Personally, I have satellite TV and put a small antenna on the dish's pole for local reception. Since it covers FM as well, I've run a line to my receiver's input and get great reception.