DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Help an idiot plug his headphones into his receiver

Old 03-19-05, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Help an idiot plug his headphones into his receiver

I am the proud owner of the Harman-Kardon AVR 235:
Link to specs Link to PDF image of rear panel

Right now, I have my DVD player and my TV plugged in as inputs, and my 5 speakers plugged in as outputs (my subwoofer is not hooked up because the input and output don't match and I need to buy an adapter. But that's a different story alltogether.)

I am also the proud owner of a set of Sennheiser RS-110 wireless headphones:
Link to specs

So here's my idiot question: Is there any way to plug the headphone transmitter into the receiver so that when the headphones are on, the receiver outputs to the headphones, and when the headphones are off, the receiver outputs to the speaker; and if so, where should I plug the transmitter in?
Old 03-19-05, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a HK 325 and when my headphones are plugged in, the speakers are automatically muted. You sure yours is not the same?

If so, and you are asling for another way to leave the transmitter plugged and switch manually I don't think that is possible. But if anyone else knows a solution they are sure to answer.
Old 03-20-05, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, I've got two problems. The first is that there is a headphone jack, but it's a single quarter-inch jack, while the headphones have two RCA plugs. I could get an adapter, but then there's the second problem, which you allude to -- as long as something is plugged into that headphone jack, the speakers won't work. I suppose I could just plug them in when I want to use them, but that defeats half the point of having the wireless headphones in the first place.

There's all sorts of RCA jacks on the back of the H-K -- surely one of them is the right one to plug my headphones into! Or maybe not.
Old 03-20-05, 01:26 AM

You'd normally connect the transmitter to a stereo analog output, like "tape out."

But automatically switching the speakers off? I see no way to accomplish that. The headphones will always be getting a signal from the output.

Also, keep in mind that your receiver won't send convert digital sources to analog, so you won't get sound in the 'phones from your digital audio sources unless you also connect the analog outputs from your DVD player etc. to analog inputs on your receiver.

RichC