DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Pioneer - stupid system for connecting speakers...

Old 03-17-05, 12:38 AM
DFN

Pioneer - stupid system for connecting speakers...

Hi Everybody,

I have a question regarding a Pioneer DVD player that I hope you can help me with. I purchased one of their Home Theater Systems and so far I have not been disappointed in terms of picture/sound quality. I would however like to ship over my Magnat speakers (*I live in Thailand btw) from Holland. The speakers however can only be connected to the system via their cables, which are (as many in-the-box home theatre sets) not bad, but not very good either. Also, one of the speaker wires is just too short so I lengthened it by just connecting it to another wire...not good for quality, I bet!

Needless to say that I would like to use different speaker wire, but so far I have not been able to find the jacks anywhere that connect the speaker wires to the player/receiver. Ive even been to the Pioneer flagship stores that they have here, and they couldnt help me. One guy even suggested that the jacks used were the same as regular telephone jacks (which they werent They look like telephone jacks but are smaller...

Ive contacted Pioneer and the best they can do is sell me the same crappy cables I already have. This would work out to about $25 for a set of six cables, which seems quite expensive given the fact that I only want the connection plugs to begin with. Also I am not sure whether it would be possible to disconnect the plugs from the wires and then re-connect them.

Anyone have any idea what the connection plugs that I am looking for are called and whether it is possible to buy them and just insert a better quality speaker cable? If I had known that something as basic as changing the speaker cable would cause so much hassle, then I would by the way not have bought the system.

Also, I am interested to learn whether other users here have had similar experiences with systems (Pioneer and other brands)

Thank you in advance, looking forward to your replies!
Old 03-17-05, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by DFN
Anyone have any idea what the connection plugs that I am looking for are called and whether it is possible to buy them and just insert a better quality speaker cable? If I had known that something as basic as changing the speaker cable would cause so much hassle, then I would by the way not have bought the system.
Since you provide no specific information -- the model of your system, a picture of the connector, anything -- I doubt you'll get much help.

RichC
Old 03-17-05, 11:33 AM
DFN

hi rdclark,

thanks for your post, sorry for omitting that crucial info. The model number is HTZ313DVD

you can find a link to it here

http://www.pioneeraus.com.au/main/pi...esystem49.html

Unfortunately I do not have a photo, but the plugs attached to the speaker wire are basically square shaped and all the wires have a different colour code on it to make the connection up to the system easier. They remind of that those jacks at the end of a telephone cord, but are smaller.

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply
Old 03-17-05, 01:03 PM

From the looks of it, these appear to be normal amplifier connections that just use modular plugs and jacks to make them more user-friendly. Could they be telephone handset plugs?

If there are two conductors in each wire, and each two-conductor wire with its own connector is plugged into a distinct jack on the amp that's labeled for one speaker/channel only, then I think it's highly likely that you could get away with simply cutting the cable, leaving the plug attached, and splice regular speaker wire to it. A careful splice, soldered and sealed, will not affect sound quality.

If your Magnat speakers are rated 4 ohms, it's possible this amplifier could overheat when driving them hard. Be careful.

Disclaimer: I have no hands-on experience with this system, and I could be wrong about everything.

RichC
Old 03-17-05, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Do you like soldering? And voiding warranties? You could always open it up, remove offending connectors, replace with standard connectors.

I'm having a hard time picturing these connections. Too bad you don't have a digicam.
Old 03-17-05, 09:34 PM
DFN

Thanks guys,

I think the plugs I am looking for are indeed called modular plugs. Ive been toying around with the idea of just cutting the wire at the plug and splicing a better quality wire to it myself. Good to hear that this, if done properly, will not negatively affect sound quality. How would you go about sealing it afterwards though?

If your Magnat speakers are rated 4 ohms, it's possible this amplifier could overheat when driving them hard. Be careful.

Rdclarck, they are indeed rated 4 ohms; with driving them hard, do you mean turning up the volume to its maximum ?

As to Spiky's suggestion: in one of the million or so shops Ive been to, this guy also suggested that I could come back and he would open it up and replace the connectors. I think the one year warrenty is almost over anyway, so that is another option I will look into. Doing it myself would be out of the question though, because I am as a-technical as they come..
Old 03-17-05, 09:55 PM

Cheap, underbuilt amplifiers overheat when asked to deliver a lot of current. The lower the impedance, the higher the current draw. Many amplifiers like yours are not rated for loads as low as 4 ohms. It is certainly possible that it will overheat and shut down, even at "normal" levels, if you use 4 ohm speakers with it. It depends on the efficiency of the speakers, their actual (vs rated) impedance, and the actual reserve power of the amp.

When splicing speaker wire, one should solder the splices and then wrap the splice with something that will prevent corrosion. Vinyl tape of good quality will probably suffice.

RichC
Old 03-17-05, 10:58 PM
DFN

Damn, this seems to be getting more complicated by the minute. Thanks for pointing this out to me rdclark. This is probably the first and the last time that I pick up an "in the box set". I am really beginning to miss my old Kenwood amp which I left behind in the Netherlands. Maybe Ill just put it in my bag, hope that customs will only be checking for drugs (when brining in electronics into Thailand you need to pay about 20% import tax) or can easily be bribed and just hook up the pioneer to it as a 'normal' dvd player...only thing with that is it does not have a DTS decoder as it is already a couple of years old. The sound quality (in combination with the Magnats) however was much better than my current system, even with 'regular' 5.1 surround so maybe its worth the hassle. Will try and find some more info about the 'actual impedance'. The sites that show up when doing a google search show results with the impedance listed as between 4-8 so maybe it will be alright...
Old 03-18-05, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by rdclark
When splicing speaker wire, one should solder the splices and then wrap the splice with something that will prevent corrosion. Vinyl tape of good quality will probably suffice.

RichC
Tape is ok, but usually falls off eventually IME and doesn't seal real well. Heatshrink is the best seal if you're willing to search around for a heat gun. Usually in electrical tools or craft stores. Turned out my wife had one when I was about to go buy my own. Hair dryer works less well, but eventually gets it done.
Old 03-21-05, 09:46 AM
DFN

Thanks Spiky, as I live at an international school with a maintenance department finding heatshrink (never heard of it before btw will probably not be a problem. Not quite sure what Ill do yet, maybe Ill try to find out how much it would be to just change the connectors.
Anyway, thanks a lot for your help (also RdClark) and i hope that one day I will be able to help you out as you helped me out. NOt much chance of that though since my technical knowledge is almost non-existent!