DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   can you get a good mp3 player for around $200? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/413629-can-you-get-good-mp3-player-around-%24200.html)

dolphinboy 03-10-05 10:15 PM

can you get a good mp3 player for around $200?

Can I please get a few recommendations...I have absolutely no experience, so I'll tell you all that I know.

I went into Best Buy and the guys didn't seem eager to help me. They had a Samsung 5GB that plays MP3 and WMA files (I need for mine to play both) for around $229. It had a color display and he said I could create playlists, play all, etc. That seemed fine to me, but I didn't know if I could do better than the Samsung, if the Samsung was good in the first place, or if the price could be beaten for a better player.

I've looked around different websites and there is just way too much out there and I feel overloaded with all the info. The names of the players in that range are always different when I go to different places (Buy.com, Amazon, Best Buy) like they are pushing only certain models (iriver, creative zen, and on and on) and I can never really find one player that jumps out. One player gets great reviews for everything but the sound. Well, that's no good. Another is getting great reviews, but then there are several people who say the Hard drive crashed quickly and boy where they glad they got the extended warranty.

There is no real consensus item around $200 that I can find and feel good about. I really trust the people at dvdtalk more than I do reviewers or people selling me the items, so if anyone can recommend something that might really stand out, please post here whatever you can or any experience you have with whatever it is you are recommending and where the best place to get it is.

I would think it would be easier to buy locally in case there is a problem, but the ones online seem to come with more accessories...at least that's what it looks like to me.

Thanks for any help.

GMLSKIS 03-11-05 12:59 AM

The Dell DJ is great.

durden007 03-11-05 01:15 AM

I've been researching mp3 players since i plan on getting one soon. So far, the only one with a decent amount of storage for abouto $200 is the Rio Karma. From the reviews on amazon, it sounds prone to problems. It has some decent reviews, but I'm wary to purchase it. The local circuit city doesn't have a working model, so I haven't been able to check out a real unit.

dolphinboy 03-11-05 07:59 PM

Would this thread be better off in Music talk? Anyone think I'd be better off moving it there to get some answers?

Thanks.

dolphinboy 03-15-05 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by GMLSKIS
The Dell DJ is great.

i ordered the DJ30 today. did i make a good choice in your opinion? i got no help, it just looked like a good choice.

Michael T Hudson 03-15-05 07:39 PM

4gb iPod mini for 199

GMLSKIS 03-16-05 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
i ordered the DJ30 today. did i make a good choice in your opinion? i got no help, it just looked like a good choice.

I think you made a good choice and will like it. I have an older DJ15 and love it. I used it last 2 days in a row for snow skiing in Lake Tahoe without recharging it even. I have 1200 songs on mine with room for plenty for more and you got double what I have.

Enjoy ! I hope you used a discount code and got a good deal on it.

DFN 03-16-05 11:44 PM

I bought my GF the Zen Micro (5gb) which retails for about $ 200 I think...great player, no problems so far, sound quality seems reasonable enough. I myself am a big fan of I-river btw, and i think they have also recently introduced a mini-player. I would definitely recommend you check out these two brands!