DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Mitsubishi WD-62525 a good buy? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/413295-mitsubishi-wd-62525-good-buy.html)

catsmeow 03-09-05 01:27 AM

Mitsubishi WD-62525 a good buy?

I was talked out of a Plasma after I read about the short life span and I have my TV on all the time. I have decided on this unless someone talks me out of it. The Mitsubisi 62' DLP Projection HDTV model WD-62525. It is in the best buy ad for $3,999 this week. What do you guys think? http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....&ref=10&loc=01
I was going to go with the Acoustic Research cables, but the guy says the monster cables will make all the difference. Do they? Thanks for any help. I am planning on getting it by Friday. So I would love some advice on this set. Also, I was planning on getting a Samsung DVD player to go with it that has the HDMI.

chipmac 03-09-05 04:38 AM

From reading some posts over at the Hometheaterspot most people who bought this model or the smaller versions are quite happy with them. There are a few who have commented about a bright spot or reflection on the screen but for that most part the Mits DLPs are getting good feedback especially after a pro calibration. I've always use AR component cables and see not reason to pay 2X or 3X more for Monster brand. If you feel the need to spend a lot of money on cables then take a look at Blue Jean or Bettercables.

dolphinfan2 03-10-05 12:13 PM

I have the 62" DLP Mits. I have the 62725 which is just a different Anti-Glare Shield and some cosmetic differences. I have had it for around 6 months and no problems. I am using Acoustic Research cables and the picture is great. The HD Channels are perfect.

Maxflier 03-10-05 01:14 PM

Looks like it's actually $3699 right now.

catsmeow 03-11-05 11:23 PM

It is 3,699 on the internet, but in store it is 3,999 with a $300 gift card mail in rebate. Thanks for the help you guys, I'm getting it with the AR cables.

catsmeow 03-20-05 02:23 AM

I bought this TV and they delievered it Thursday. I am on a waiting list to get HDTV hooked up. They ran out of boxes, that's Iowa. Anyway, we hooked it up for now just using the cheap cables we had on the old tv that are over 10 years old. The tv has a perfect picture. The dvd player (I bought the Samsung one) looks like I'm at the movies. I don't see how the picture could be any better. I did buy the AR cables and one monster cable that is hdmi to jvi. I think I am going to take all the cables back unless I am going to need them when they come to hook up my HDTV. Does anyone know what they need to hook that up?

chipmac 03-20-05 12:28 PM

Usually the cable companies will bring whatever cables they need to hook up your box but often times they're not mid to high quality ones and you might want to upgrade them yourself. Also many times they ones they bring are not long enough for your set up and you'll need to replace them just to make the connection.

When I had my HD STB hooked up they brought a 6 foot component cable but I needed a minimum of 8 feet. You have a 65" TV and depending on how far away you plan to have the STB in your rack you might need 12 feet to hide the cables nicely.

As for not seeing how the PQ could improve; have you read my calibration review? The calibrator and I were discussing various models while adjusting my greyscale and he said that on models such as yours he's seen greyscales variances that were off the charts with readings around 9800k rather than 6500k where it should be. Fixing that alone will make a big difference in your PQ if yours is doing the same.

Good luck with it.

Maxflier 03-26-05 12:26 PM

I was looking at this one yesterday in BB and fell in love.I will be getting a new tv in May and was leaning toward the 65" projection Mitsubishi,but i think i am going to just put out the extra cash and go with this one now.The reason i wanted the projection is because my center channel speaker is kinda big and i would have been able to just set it on top of the set.Not sure what to do with it when it comes to a slim tv like this one though.Any suggestions?

chipmac 03-26-05 01:03 PM

Max of you have the room, can control your lighting somewhat and don't mind adjusting convergence a little bit every few months then get the rear projector. It has a better picture and if you plan on getting a calibration it will definitely outperform the DLP. From what I've been told the Mits DLPs are nice and some of the best in their class but the CRT RPTVs are still better as far as PQ.

Maxflier 03-26-05 05:36 PM

Really?I would have assumed the DLP would have the better picture since it is about twice the cost.But i have to admit i am not very informed when it comes to all this stuff.

Darthkim 03-27-05 07:19 PM

Hi Max,

If you are still on the fence regarding which technology to buy, i would recommend to wait until May. Mitsubishi usually has their annual dealer show around april, so you can get a better idea of whats coming out next year. At worst, the only thing that could possible happen to the 62525 is the pricing dropping.

I also agree with chipmac, if you have the space, go with CRT. I've had mine for a couple of years and don't regret it one bit. Sure the DLP's look nice and are a bit thinner, but thats about it. I believe that DLP/microdisplay technologies are the way to go in the future, but for now, i think CRT still has an edge.

HTH.

Maxflier 03-28-05 09:43 AM

Thanks Darth,i'll take your advice and see what happens by May.You and Chip have me leaning toward the CRT again now.That DLP just looks so damn sleek.

Darthkim 04-08-05 06:00 PM

Looks like they've started announcing stuff.

Here's the first link.

biz.yahoo.com/bw/050408/85013.html?.v=1

Better link. Check the bottom left corner for all of their announcements.

http://finance.yahoo.com/search?type...tal&r=&=Search

Maxflier 05-10-05 01:12 AM

Well for anyone who cares,I ended up going with the 52" DLP.The lack of HDMI on the CRT really turned me off and to be honest I just had my heart set on the DLP anyways from the moment I saw it.
It will probably be a few days or so before I get it set up since i can't seem to find the matching stand anywhere and I don't really care for any of the other ones.

chipmac 05-10-05 04:04 AM

It's your choice and I'm sure you'll be happy with it but just so you know the Mts' CRTs do have HDMI.

Maxflier 05-10-05 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by chipmac
It's your choice and I'm sure you'll be happy with it but just so you know the Mts' CRTs do have HDMI.

Not that it matters now,but i am really confused now.
The CRT's are the WS-65315 series right?I thought those did not have an HDMI port,as was mentioned in this thread http://dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=419947

chipmac 05-10-05 09:37 AM

You might be right. After your post I checked out the specs at Mits' web site and the 315 has DVI listed and the 815 has HDMI listed. So they list HDMI for the high end models but only DVI for the low end model. That could either be a typo or an upgrade you'd really need to check the connection by looking on the back of one to be sure I guess. Either way to me they're the same. I mean 98% of the people who buy a HDTV also have a 5.1 audio set up so who needs the built in audio of the TV anyhow. Also as it's been said until you're forced to use these digital connections because of HDCP you're better off with component hookups for CRT based sets.