DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

In the market for a new TV!

Old 03-04-05, 03:42 AM
hey
Cool New Member

In the market for a new TV!

Ok guys so I'm buying a new TV and have pretty much pinned it down to two RCA HDTV. The first is:

RCA 52" Widescreen HDTV Monitor D52W20
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/RCA-5...oductDetail.do

And the other is:

RCA 52" Widescreen Rear-Projection HDTV Monitor with Syncroscan Component Input D52W25
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1099388906715

I tried to do some research on what the differences are between the TVs, however, I could not find any. I found some really great reviews for the first TV, but none for the second. So according to what the sites say, the first TV is HD-Ready, has DVI and picture in picture, but no 3:2 pulldown (do I want this? or will a progressive scan dvd player do?) The second has a Built-In receiver for $200 more. So which one am I better off with?

Thanks!

BTW other recommendations are welcome so long as they are in my price range and around the same size of the TVs above and are readily available.
Old 03-04-05, 05:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Whether or not to get an HDTV with a built in HD tuner will depend on where you plan to receive your HD signals from. Many people use either satellite or cable to get their signal and get their local Hd programing that way. Keep in mind that for now HD locals are only available from satellite in limited areas. If you are able to put up an antenna to receive HD locals from nearby transmission towers it could be worth it to you since after the initial layout for the antenna and built in tuner the channels are free. DVI or better yet HDMI connections are something you should have to provide for the future of components that might need them. 3:2 pulldown is good to have so that other programming besides your progressive DVD player are converted properly for your display.

Now the big question is what made you decide on an RCA model? When many people judge which HDTV is right for them they usually decide on Sony, Toshiba, Hitachi, Mitsubishi or Panasonic. Not many people would recommend an RCA and I've heard many people state that you should in fact run away from them. They're typically not known for reliability, great PQ or features.
Old 03-04-05, 05:24 PM
hey
Cool New Member

It pretty much boiled down to my budget which is around the price of both of these TV and that fact that they're both big(ger). Besides, the second TV set, I've heard good things about the first one. However, like you said, I have also heard bad thing about RCA and that other brands out there, particularly Sony, Toshiba, Hitachi and Mitsubishi are in a league of their own.

Pretty much the source of HDTV programming I will be receiving will be through my cable company RCA here in SSF, Ca. I could either choose to rent a tuner or buy my own.

Do you have any further recommendations that meet my requirement? I'm think I'm going to keep looking and hopefully will find something comparable to these two, if not, then I'll most likely get the first one.
Old 03-05-05, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

hey,

Not to take a shot at RCA but if you're investing that much money in a television reliability and quality would be my first two crieteria. Said that, I purchased the Toshiba 51H84 about 3 weeks ago from Onecall.com. At the time the TV was $1699-10% off - $75 off any order over $1500. So my total WITH 3 year warranty was $1613. No tax and no shipping cost.

I know everyone says buy the biggest you can afford but personally the size would be the last thing I'd look at in the reliability, PQ, cost, size criteria.
Old 03-05-05, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd go with the Mitsubishi 55" for pq and reliability. Do some price searches and you might find a good deal.
Old 03-09-05, 08:48 PM
hey
Cool New Member

Alright so I finally bought a TV and as much as I didn't want to went way my budget...well I went way over my budget (very close to $2000 w/ Sears PA). Hopefully I made the right choice and won't need to buy another TV for another decade or so. What do ya guys think? I can't wait...takes a week and a half for delivery!

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...Projection+TVs

Thanks for your guys input.
Old 03-10-05, 04:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well I think that if you're happy with it then that's all that matters. However if you're asking if I think you made a good choice then I'd answer no. I don't feel Sony makes a good CRT based RPTV and I think a Mits, Tosh or Hitachi would have been a better choice. I've seen 55" Mits sell for $1500 lately so you could have got a larger screen and saved some coin. However if your choices were between the RCA and the Sony you bought the Sony would be the one I'd choose. Good luck with it.
Old 03-11-05, 05:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm sure you'll be happy with it, but I just didn't like what I saw of the Sony RPs when i was in the market a few months ago. I narrowed my choices to either a Mits or a Hitachi and wound up buying a Hitachi.....in hindsight I wish I had waited because the prices have dropped a bit in the last 3 months, but that's 3 months I've gotten to enjoy it.
Old 03-11-05, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Now go over to the AVSFORUM.COM an spend some time there. Most folks (especially on this type of TV) say the purchase is just the 1st step. You will want to do some set adjustments, tweeking, etc. There are a couple of DVD you can buy to help with settings and some even recommend you hire a professional to come in an set it up. But search the forums and you will find a tone of information.

If I'm not mistaken, there is also a pay version of this site that some swear by. But there is also a tone of free stuff that you can just look over.

Enjoy your new set...what did you watch 1st? My wife bought me Matrix the Ultimate Edition for my b-day last month, but I'm saving it for when I finish our media room. Figure that will be some nice break in movies!
Old 03-11-05, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk God

I can't say I know much about RCA HDTVs, but I would never ever buy an RCA TV again.
Old 03-11-05, 03:56 PM
hey
Cool New Member

I have yet to watch any movies or any HD broadcasted shows on my TV because I have yet to receive it. But then again I want to purchase an upscale DVD player, possibly with an HDTV tuner and one that can play multiregion DVDs cuz I own plenty of those. Any recommendations? How about a place to start looking at them? I think I remember seeing a website, but I don't quit remember that it was. But anyway, for now the wait is killing me....it is going to be delivered on 3/21. I've removed my old TV and so I have a big empty space in my living room right now waiting to be filled in.

Thanks for the advice however about seeking information about settings, calibrations and adjustments. I don't think I would want to pay for a professional to tweak my TV, haha, let alone pay for a website. I think I'll so some searching and I'm sure I'll find some info and I can also play around it with.

Last edited by hey; 03-11-05 at 03:59 PM.
Old 03-11-05, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just a word or 2 of wisdom: I would not discount the value of htspot's info accessible to paying members. Most of it you will NOT find free elsewhere, and it is worth many times what you pay for it. (I think $20 or $25) You might not evn be able to ACCESS many of the options without the right info.

Then again, after all the input you went with the Sony anyway, so maybe I'm wasting my breath (ok, fingertips).
Old 03-12-05, 02:03 AM
hey
Cool New Member

Ha, you're right, after doing some searches, I couldn't find that much info on the TV I purchased so I might consider this pay site you speak of. I've already spent $2000 bucks and I might as well get the best out of my purchase. Now where can I find this pay website that you guys speak of? Point me to the right direction please....
Old 03-12-05, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Go to www.hometheaterspot.com and start studying. For more in depth info and instructions on how to enter the service menus and what and how to adjust once you're in there just pay the annual membership fee of $25.