DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Question about cleaning inside of speakers.... (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/411973-question-about-cleaning-inside-speakers.html)

babka 02-28-05 09:09 PM

Question about cleaning inside of speakers....

I have had my energy RVS large bookshelf speakers for about 10 years now. I noticed on the back are 2 holes......1 on the bottom and 1 on the top back. I would think these are vents for the bass or something. The thing is there is a ton of dust deep inside along with cobwebs and such. They play fine but I wanted to dust it inside . But I am worried about messing with the wires and such. But likewise, I am afraid a spider or web will touch a wire or two and blow something inside. Also, it does not look easy to get access inside. I only see a small square opening with 4 screws and not something allowing access to the whole speaker's interior.

Your opinions?

kayak99 03-01-05 11:41 AM

Compressor hose (used carefully) in one hole, vacuum in the other?

Does the front cover not come off? Probably screws under there.

P.S. Spiders & webs do not conduct electricity.

rdclark 03-01-05 12:08 PM

I would recommend leaving it alone. The potential benefits (none that I can see) don't outweigh the risks (ruining the speakers).

RichC

Brian Shannon 03-01-05 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by babka
I have had my energy RVS large bookshelf speakers for about 10 years now. I noticed on the back are 2 holes......1 on the bottom and 1 on the top back. I would think these are vents for the bass or something. The thing is there is a ton of dust deep inside along with cobwebs and such. They play fine but I wanted to dust it inside . But I am worried about messing with the wires and such. But likewise, I am afraid a spider or web will touch a wire or two and blow something inside. Also, it does not look easy to get access inside. I only see a small square opening with 4 screws and not something allowing access to the whole speaker's interior.

Your opinions?

There is no need to dust inside. Having said that if you want to I don't think you would hurt anything either. If you have ever seen the inside of most common speakers they are mostly empty cabinet filled with some type of polyfill stuffing. What little wiring there probably is would be close to the front of the speaker.

kayak99 03-01-05 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by babka
The thing is there is a ton of dust deep inside along with cobwebs and such.

He seems to know there is a lot of dust/cobwebs inside. Not certain how he knows that but I thnk he would feel better about his system if he could crack the case and (carefully) dust/clean. Unless he screws up a connection or the speaker itself I doubt there would be a problem.

rdclark 03-01-05 08:22 PM

Bass drivers have flexible surrounds attached to the frame. The material from which the surrounds are made can be delicate. On some older speakers, they can become so brittle that you can poke holes through them with just a touch. That's why there are ads for speaker re-coning and surround-replacement in the back of hi-fi magazines.

Thus my warning: there is nothing to gain by cleaning the interior of the cabinet. The potential loss is somewhat greater than nothing.

RichC

hal9000 03-02-05 01:27 AM

First rule for being a spider: Don't spin a web in a location that might trigger false alarms i.e. inside a speaker box!

Btw I just re-coned my 15 year old 10" 3 way speakers and the only way to access them was to remove (unscrew) the woofers from the cabinet, thus providing ample room to move around inside the box if need be. I really wouldn't worry about the dust though, just my opinion.