DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Explorer 8300HD users. Why does my box do this?

Old 02-26-05, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Explorer 8300HD users. Why does my box do this?

I have my box hooked to my tv via a HDMI cable. Whenever I pause the program and turn the tv off then turn it back on the program has started again. On top of that what has been buffered you can't rewind back.

For instance earlier today I had paused a program for about 20 min. I turned the tv off and came back turned it back on and it was live and what had been buffered what is normally green is now red. I thought that was a fluke instance so I paused it again, waited about 3 minutes turned the tv off then back on and it was live again.

Any idea why? I would have "thought" it would stay paused as long as the buffer allows. I wanted to ask those here before I called the clueless Adelphia people to hear their excuse.

oh and before anyone brings it up I cancelled my two tivo's for this box. I'm here to say upfront that I realize Tivo's software is far far ahead of SAs but Adelphia's features as far as dual tuners, HD recording, HDMI port, and for $1 more per month for the box and half of what I paid for Tivo per month for DVR function I thought I'd give it a shot.
Old 02-26-05, 03:19 PM

I will have to try that out with my TV and see if it does the same thing. Main problem I have had is like 2 times while trying to do the indemand stuff the box reset.
Old 02-26-05, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've been going through the manuals online and can't really see anything that goes over this.
Old 02-27-05, 12:31 AM

are you turning the TV or the BOX off? if you turn the tv off and not the box it should hold it for the 1 hour buffer time.
SA boxes have poor firmware, this is a problem because of SA not your cable company. When SA gets new firmware out it should help fix some of the problems that people are having with their cable boxes.
Old 02-27-05, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just the tv. I knew it had nothing to do with the cable co itself I just wanted to know if they were aware of the problem and if so were they working on it.
Old 02-27-05, 05:32 PM

That is intresting that it happens, its gotta be something do with the HDMI cable, have you tried it with component and see if it still does it? i cant think of why teh box would KNOW that the tv is off, unless the HDMI cable is almost 2way? (forgive me, I am not familar with using that cable, only Component)
Old 02-28-05, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I get something similar with my 8300HD. Not exactly the same, but similar.

My problem: I've got something recorded and I've started watching it. I press pause in the middle then switch inputs to my X-Box. I play for a couple of hours then switch inputs back to my cable box and it has magically started playing and skipped ahead about 15 minutes. It doesn't remove the show from before where I paused, but it seems to be a similar problem.

And I feel your pain with giving up TiVo. I moved the TiVo to the bedroom and get frustrated that there is no bookmarking an episode (I press pause, watch something else, then it loses its spot on the program I was previously watching, thus I have to FFWD to the correct spot again), no 15 minute skip with my software (some software versions you can press the right arrow to skip ahead 15 minutes), and if you are watching the buffered portion of a live show and it finishes before you "catch up", it resets it back to the beginning of the show while you are watching it (even though you are currently still watching the buffered portion). The dual tuners and HD recording makes me put up with it though.

Check out this thread at AVSforum for lots of good advice (and people who share your pain )
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0&pagenumber=1
It's pretty long, but there's lots of helpful hints.
Old 02-28-05, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Lampei I just had that same issue today. I paused a recording and turned my tv off. An hour later I came back and it was about 15 back from where I left it.
Old 02-28-05, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, you'll probably find a few more "fun" issues with it. My wife and I are counting the days until TiVo with Cable card comes out (hopefully *early* next year)
Old 03-09-05, 06:40 PM

I had the same problem. It has to do with the HDMI (or in my case HDMI to DVI) cable connected to the TV. Apparently there's some software or hardware issue dealing with the 8300HD and HDMI "changing state".

I got that from this group:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/explorer_8300

I'll be switching back to component because of this. I originally thought that using a pure digital cable would make a difference in picture quality, but that's not necessarily true. Found this article to back that up (all depends on trial and error with various cables):
http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messa...79/122868.html

Hope this helps someone! Enjoy!