DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Comcast DVR and Home Theater (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/410840-comcast-dvr-home-theater.html)

Newbie1057 02-21-05 02:21 PM

Comcast DVR and Home Theater

I've recently had Comcast DVR installed. I want to use my home theater system to play the sound. The DVR has SPDIF output for Dolby Digital Sound but my home theater (Panansonic SA-HT692) only has standard audio in. It has dolby when playing a DVD, but no way to input Dolby digital from another source. Is there a home theater system that works well with Comcast DVT?

rdclark 02-21-05 04:05 PM

Excuse my bluntness, but any HT system or receiver that doesn't have a digital audio input is a piece of crap. It would be harder to find one that doesn't have at least one than ten that do.

There are literally hundreds of choices. IMO, it's possible with very careful and patient shopping to get a system (5 speakers, powered sub, and receiver) with no embarrassing deficiencies for as little as $400, it's more likely you'll need to spend a minimum of $600 to assemble a system that could reasonably be labeled "high fidelity" and has all of the basic features (like digital audio inputs).

So before anyone can make a recommendation, you need to discuss your requirements and budget in a little more detail.

BTW, I got no hits on "SA-HT692." Is that really the model number?

RichC

DJ_Longfellow 02-22-05 11:26 AM

Yeah, get a receiver with at least two optical inputs. You should find some for a cheap price.....

I have my XBOX, Comcast DVR and DVD played all hooked up to my receiver. OPT, OPT, COAX

chipmac 02-22-05 01:44 PM

Well if you want to keep the receiver you have now, the cable box must also have composite audio out that you can connect with. just connect the red and white audio outs to the ins on the receiver and change the settings of the cable box to turn DD off. You won't get DD sound but you can listen to DD down mixed to stereo.

Newbie1057 02-22-05 07:36 PM

Thanks for the info... Yes the SA-HT692 is the model.. IT was a COSTCO special last fall.. around $400. Maybe it was packaged just for COSTCO. I didn't even know to look for that type of audio input at the time. Either way, it sounds like I'm stuck with just stereo or I need to look at a new Home Theater system. I don't think I'll get it at COSTCO this time!!

Thanks!!

juicerocket 02-22-05 08:54 PM

I see that item (HT692) at Costco now, nice looking HTIB. What comcast box do you have? I'm assuming it's the Motorola 6412? Not that it helps, but I guess double check your HTIB to see if it has optical or coax in, the DVR has both out.

BobDole42 02-22-05 09:11 PM

doesn't Costco have an amazing return policy? You may be able to take back your current setup and get something that offers more digial inputs

juicerocket 02-22-05 11:23 PM

Good call BobDole, I thought that Costco had some "return anytime" policy. If so, just put it towards another purchase.