Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Just bought a new receiver, need speaker suggestions

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-05, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a Pioneer VSX-1014TX-K receiver, at a decent price. This is replacing my old kenwood receiver that I bought in 1992.

Here's the specs on the new one:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...866598,00.html

So currently for music etc I have a pair of Cerwin Vega e-708 speakers, and I love them. I'd like to incorporate them into my new set up, if possible. What would be my best bet for a speaker system (keeping in mind I don't want to be spending thousands of dollars). The set up will be used for music and lots of DVD viewing.

Thanks for any input!
Old 02-21-05, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
What would be my best bet for a speaker system (keeping in mind I don't want to be spending thousands of dollars).
How much do you want to spend?
Old 02-21-05, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

$500 to $750 or so.
Old 02-21-05, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Damed
$500 to $750 or so.
If that is for all five speakers you had better start looking at bookshelf speakers. If you are looking for three, then you would at least need to try and get a matching center channel.

If you need a sub you are not looking at very good quality at all.
Old 02-21-05, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
If that is for all five speakers you had better start looking at bookshelf speakers. If you are looking for three, then you would at least need to try and get a matching center channel.

If you need a sub you are not looking at very good quality at all.

Well, that was a rough estimate. I *can* go up from there, but I'm not really looking to spend $2000 on speakers.

Open to suggestions......
Old 02-21-05, 12:56 PM
Suspended

I am also looking for a set of towers to upgrade my current home theatre. I am willing to spend $500 on the pair.

Any help could be appreciated.
Old 02-22-05, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

floorstanding: Paradigm Phanton - ~500
bookshelf: Paradigm Titans - ~ 200
Old 02-23-05, 09:57 PM

I LOVE my Axiom speakers......
Very affordable too

www.axiomaudio.com
Old 02-23-05, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
If you are looking for three, then you would at least need to try and get a matching center channel.
I *think* this may be the matching center: Cerwin-Vega E-76C $119.88 via Amazon/J&R

So, if you want to start with 5.1 for now, you'd just need to add a pair of bookshelf models for surrounds and a decent sub.

Circuit City currently has the Infinity Primus 150 bookshelves on sale for $149.98 per pair: Infinity Primus 150 $149.98/pair at CC.com ..... you may not even want to spend that much on surrounds, nor am I sure how well these would integrate with the CVs, although it's apparently less of a concern, from what I've read, with surrounds than with the center and fronts blending well with each other. Anyway, the Primus series was well-reviewed by Secrets and seems to get pretty good customer reviews, so figured you might want to consider them, have a listen if you're close to a CC or some retailer that carries the line.

So.... in my little hypothetical here, we've got your existing fronts plus the 'matching' center (?) and a pair of decent surrounds for around $300 out of the $750 or so you've budgeted for speakers. That leaves around $450 for a sub, which means you can do well with this important part of a good home theater.

I'd suggest you consider spending just a little more than your original budget to purchase a sub that will probably keep you very happy for many years:

HSU Research VTF-2 MK-2 $499

You could buy cheaper surrounds to keep the total around your $750 limit, such as the 'matching' (?) CV surrounds: Cerwin-Vega E-705 $79.99/pair at Buy.com (currently OOS).

Edit: Here's the Secrets review on another subwoofer option that looks to be a really good value: SVS PB10-ISD review by Secrets

Excerpt: "In short, the PB10-ISD has an SVS pedigree to the core, and from a performance value perspective, it is their best work to date. It is a remarkable achievement, and truly represents a quantum leap forward in the $400 subwoofer class."

Last edited by Dah-Dee; 02-24-05 at 08:44 AM.
Old 02-24-05, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts
Klipsch Reference Series RSX-4's with RW8 Subwoofer. Will set you close to $1000