DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Why do dvdrs recorded in EP sucK?

Old 02-12-05, 04:49 PM
Banned

Why do dvdrs recorded in EP sucK?

I thought you could get perfect picture quality in any recording mode (SP, EP, LP, SLP) on a dvdr.

Maybe the picture quality is better on a EP VHS recording.
Old 02-12-05, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ShelleyLevene
I thought you could get perfect picture quality in any recording mode (SP, EP, LP, SLP) on a dvdr.

Maybe the picture quality is better on a EP VHS recording.
What source are you recording from? What is your definition of perfect?
Old 02-12-05, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ShelleyLevene
I don't know who told you that, but they were full of shit. If you were able to get perfect recordings on any setting, why make different settings to begin with? Just have the maximum amount of recording time.

It's simple: The more data you try to jam onto a DVD, DVD-R or otherwise, the more you're going to have to compress it. The more it's compressed, the more quality is going to suffer.
Old 02-13-05, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When you're recording with any recorder you're going to get less than perfect not using the setting that allows for the least information, just like a VCR. The result is usually less detail and very soft imaging. Also, what kind of hookup are you using to record from your TV/cable? The better the hookup, the better your recordings will look. Regardless, if you expect a recording from cable to look as good as a commercially released DVD, you're most likely going to be disappointed. They're good for recording ball games and time shifting TV shows though

Last edited by nightmaster; 02-13-05 at 04:24 PM.