Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Am I getting the best deal for my money? (Buying a TV)

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-05, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 248 Likes on 185 Posts

So I've posted on here a few times in the last month. My waits almost over and I'm just getting a little buyers anxiety. Having never spent more than $350 on a tv before I wanted to see if you guys thought there might be a better tv that I could get for my money. I'm planning on picking up a Sony 50 inch WEGA LCD next week. I'm going to end up spending close to $3000 on it. Crutchfield has it for $3000 no tax or shipping. One Call has it for $2,600 but I live in Washington so I'd have to pay tax and they no longer have free shipping on the set. I'm prepared to spend up to $300 on the stand. A buddy has last years model and I really like the quality. So what tv/stand would you buy with $3300? I don't want a plasma set but other than that I'm open to any suggestions.
Old 02-14-05, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would buy a DLP at that price. Just a tip, do a price match at Sears, open a new credit line to get a 10% discount (and probably free financing), and use a 10% off Sears coupon (could be found on eBay).
Old 02-14-05, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i have had 2 friends buy teh 50" Sony Wega LCD for $2500+ 300 for stand, 18Months no interest, and one of them got a free Sony HTIB ($500 one) free as well. One got it from CompUSA, one got theres from Circuit City.
Old 02-14-05, 03:53 PM

im one of those guys. Got the 50" Sony WEGA HDTV for 2500, a different stand for 120 (price was 300ish), which is made of metal and glass, a little taller and nicer than the crappy plastic short one for 500 that came with the sony, a 500 $ Sony DreamSystem HTIB for free, and full extended warrenties on the TV and HTIB, and all the needed component cables for the TV, theater, and Xbox, plus a power center strip thing. Total came out to about 3300. Retail for all that is over 5000.

I just went between Best Buy, Circuit City, and Conns, and talked to the manager, or whoever is in charge of the tv section, and had them price match and beat each other. Went to each place a couple of times before i figured i had worn out my welcome, and ended up at CC. it took them a few tries to throw in the HTIB for free, but it looked like they had a huge stack of them, so maybe that helped them bargin some.
Old 02-15-05, 09:19 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got a 60" Sony WEGA KF60WE610 over a month ago for about $3000 (display model but with 4 year warranty-including free bulb replacement) and I love it!

The WEGAs have a great support group on other forums and there are lots of service menu tweaks to get the absolute most out of the set.

I didnt want a DLP with the *potential* problems with halos/rainbows or lag on some video games (i think samsung has since fixed the lag prob).

Check out www.avsforum.com for extensive user groups/info