Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

What's the best deal on getting HDTV channels and/or digital satellite?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 02-09-05, 02:24 PM

I have a Panasonic AE500 projector. I guess I am ready to jump on the bandwagon and get a dish. But I want to have as many HDTV channels especially the discovery channel. What exactly do I need equipment wise , and what is the best deal for this type of service? I heard Voom has tons of channels. But I am really new to this since I have only been watching dvds all these years and never even had cable.... all this in order to catch up with movie watching.
Old 02-09-05, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Voom does have tons of HD channels, including lots of narrowcast channels; you can check their lineup on their website.
I have heard they only have like 26000 customers, and they just got bought [or are being bought] by another company, so if you went with them, they might not have a lot of longevity, so I wouldn't pay a lot to get started. I think they have a deal now with free or 1.00 install if you get the VaVaVoom package which is like 80/month.
Have you looked at your cable company? My cable company gave me the HD DVR for no additional cost over the regular digital cable box [and of course the 7.95/mo. DVR fee, almost all dvr's charge a fee.] They have a regular HD box as well which can be gotten for the same as the regular digital box. HD networks, Disc HD, included; HD Suite [HDNet 1 and 2, HDNet Movies 1 and 2] for like 7/mo extra, and SHO and/or HBO HD if you have HBO or SHO.
I've been out of satellite for a while, so I can't help with that.
Old 02-09-05, 04:15 PM

thanks for the info
Old 02-09-05, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've got the HD-DVR via Adelphia (CBS, NBC, ABC, ESPN, PBS & HBO).. it costs me around $9 more then before.

I would think Dish will add more HD soon if at all possible.
Old 02-10-05, 01:55 AM
Banned

I have voom right now, I can tell you right now at times I get pissed at the repetative programming but when there's good programming, it's DAMN good... For example phil collins farewell tour was just amazing on RaveHD, and the kung fu channel is always an exciting channel to watch.. if your a soccer fan this is a must because of Worldsport... But the bad part is that it gets real repetative and the channel lineup is ok even though it says that it's the best of cable channels.