DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Question about a Pioneer Receiver (VSX-D514)

Old 02-07-05, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Question about a Pioneer Receiver (VSX-D514)

A friend has this receiver. She's having an issue where there is about a 20db drop in sound when going from Digital Stereo (tv, normally) to Dolby Surround or DTS (either a tv show in DD or a dvd.)

It's most annoying when watching TV if she's switching from something on HBO with DD to a normal program and having to constantly adjust the volume.

Anyone with a similar Pioneer know how to fix this?
Old 02-07-05, 01:57 PM

That's a common problem, which is why so many receivers have the ability to pre-balance the inputs. It's a "step up" feature, less common on bottom of the line units. I don't know if Pioneer includes it in any of their models; I know Denon and Onkyo do. Having been burned once by this annoying problem, it's a "must have" feature for me now.

Without that feature or a similar one (some receivers "remember" the last volume setting for each input) on the receiver, all you can do is somehow attenuate the output level on your analog sources, with an in-line attenuator or even a mixer. But this invites degradation in signal-to-noise ration and additional noise and distortion from the attenuating device.

Running the receiver in "midnight mode," which reduces the dynamic range on digital audio sources, might or might not help, depending whether it also raises the average level or not.

RichC
Old 02-07-05, 03:05 PM

I have this same receiver and can't figure out how to get it in digital. Everything is analog, yet I have it connected to my DVD player via digital coax connection.
The DTS or Dolby logos never light up when watching a DVD with those features.
Old 02-07-05, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I had a 509 for a few years and have had a 711 for over 3 years now, and I know what you are talking about...but it just never bothered me. In fact, I've never given it a second thought. Of course, I'm predisposed to play with the volume anyway...

I just figured that I'd let you know that it's normal. On CD mode, I generally listen in the "40-50" range and movies are usually in the "20-30" range.

Dango,

Try pushing the "standard" button on your remote. It should clear all those silly advanced surround features that you most likely have turned on.
Old 02-07-05, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i set it up for her and didn't have any problems getting it to detect the digital signal. there is a signal select button on it or something. maybe yours is faulty. DTS is the only one that a logo appears IRC.

Also a lot of DVD players you have to turn on the digital output somehow.
Old 02-09-05, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Dango727
I have this same receiver and can't figure out how to get it in digital. Everything is analog, yet I have it connected to my DVD player via digital coax connection.
The DTS or Dolby logos never light up when watching a DVD with those features.
I had a problem like that with my Pioneer VSX-412, which is I believe the previous generation of this unit. Like chess said, hit the standard button.

The Advanced Surround features are good for Mono and Stereo sources, but if you have a 5.1 disc, you gotta hit that standard button.
Old 08-12-07, 05:19 AM

I'm having a similar problem with this receiver that I posted about 2 1/2 years ago.

Suddenly my receiver only plays in Dolby Pro Logic when watching something using my cable box (Motorola 6416).
I've tried pressing the Standard button, but that only gives me the options for Music, Movies, or Dolby PL.
All the other things hooked up to my receiver play normally. The DVD player plays in 5.1, my satellite radio plays in stereo, etc...
I have no idea what could've changed with my cable box setting. Also, I used to be able to listen to the TV audio without the TV being on, just my cable box and receiver being on, but that has stopped. I get no audio if my TV is off.
Old 08-12-07, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have the vsx d812 and this is normal. When going from prologic or prologic II to DD 5.1 or dts with any receiver there will be a difference in volume.
Old 08-13-07, 02:42 PM

Can someone help solve my issue?

My receiver stays on the Pro Logic setting, even when watching a channel with 5.1 programming.
Old 08-13-07, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dango727
Can someone help solve my issue?

My receiver stays on the Pro Logic setting, even when watching a channel with 5.1 programming.
First off with a thread this old, there is the chance that the receiver has simply had a part fail. Electronics do that.

Second if you want to troubleshoot the problem you need to go back to square one. Get out the manual, recheck every connection to be sure it is tight.

Then take a dvd you are familiar with and play it while using the manual to change modes on the receiver. If it still does not work then it may be time to upgrade and purchase a new one.
Old 08-13-07, 06:16 PM

DVD's play fine as I stated yesterday. Actually all the components work correctly, except my cable box. Everything I watch on TV is Pro Logic, even a channel like HDNet Movies which used to always come up as digital.

I don't know what could've caused the change. This problem just started a few days ago when I noticed that I could no longer hear audio with my TV being off.
Old 08-14-07, 01:46 AM

I figured it out. Someone messed with the remote settings on the receiver.

I wish the remote could be locked so things like this wouldn't happen again. Do Harmony remotes have that option?