Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

I've caught the upgrade bug, what kind of receiver do I need now ?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 02-05-05, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm looking to upgrade my receiver.

Someone on these forums mentioned getting one that offers switching of component sources. I have no clue what that means, as the one I currently have, while very powerful, doesnt do me any favors in that regard.

I'm looking for a good receiver, (above $500) that will offer me component switching, a good hearty power supply, a myriad of options, and whatever else is out there nowadays.

Sell me on a receiver folks(try to stay under 1000).

Thanks
Old 02-05-05, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Google up some reviews for these options:

harman/kardon AVR635 (some user reviews here: http://www.audioreview.com/PRD_331060_2718crx.aspx )

Denon 3805 (here's one: http://www.audioholics.com/productre...5_review01.php )

Yamaha RX-V2500 (here's one: http://www.audioholics.com/productre...00review01.php )

Wanna really live it up?....

harman/kardon AVR7300 for $1,292.80 at OneCall

P.S. --

Last edited by Dah-Dee; 02-05-05 at 04:37 PM.
Old 02-05-05, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

BTW, OneCall has the H/K 630 for $650 right now which appears to be a smoking deal. I'm on dial up right now so didn't check far, but H/K is selling the REFURBISHED 630 for $695.

I'd vote for any of the H/K's. Course I've turned into a H/K whore after just loving my $150 (with free shipping) 5.1 receiver I picked up direct from H/K (refurbished) about a year back.
Old 02-05-05, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here's one that you should seriously consider. Apologies if you can get it for less than your $500 minimum, but that's only because it's a screaming deal. It's the Panasonic 1040. [edit: I mean the Pioneer 1014!] Solid receiver 7.1, 110 w/ch (not overrated), beefy (34 pounds!), THX-cert, does component switching and video upconversion. Al the modes incl. PLIIx. Plus, the biggest selling point (IMO) is the automatic speaker calibration. Includes a mike and will balance speaker levels *and* equalize them to give a much smoother and seamless soundstage.

The other recommendations are also good, but I've seen this receiver being compared favorably to the Denon and Yamaha models mentioned here.

Last edited by drmoze; 02-05-05 at 11:09 PM.
Old 02-05-05, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by drmoze
Panasonic 1040.

Whozawhatta?

Do you mean the Pioneer 1014?
Old 02-05-05, 10:08 PM

Simple Pioneer VSX-1014TX! It can be had for less than 400 shipped. Do not let the 400 price fool you. It is basically the Pioneer Elite 52TX with a different face plate.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=445848
Old 02-05-05, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sorry, I meant the Pioneer 1014!! Tax time and all... My brainfart $^)

It does have one less component in than the 52x, and lacks the 12V trigger (if you need that). But it does have beefy amps and the auto-calibration, which are key.
Old 02-06-05, 12:25 AM

I have to recommend ONKYO for a receiver, specifically Onkyo TX-SR702. I currently use separates and haven't looked back.
Old 02-06-05, 12:40 AM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by Thunderball
Someone on these forums mentioned getting one that offers switching of component sources. I have no clue what that means, as the one I currently have, while very powerful, doesnt do me any favors in that regard.

I'm looking for a good receiver, (above $500) that will offer me component switching
Why is component switching one of your criteria if you don't know what it means?

Component is a high-quality video signal. Do you have, or expect to have, so many component video sources that you need to switch them through your receiver instead of connecting them directly into your video display?
Old 02-06-05, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by X
Why is component switching one of your criteria if you don't know what it means?

Component is a high-quality video signal. Do you have, or expect to have, so many component video sources that you need to switch them through your receiver instead of connecting them directly into your video display?
I currently have a DVD player, an XBOX , a Gamecube and a cable box(which I've gone the DVI > HDMI adapater route. That's 3 component signals,a nd only 2 inputs on the back of the TV.

Edit : I knwo what it means, but my current one offers S Video switching and I've never figured out how to use it properly.
Old 02-06-05, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

personally i wouldn't spend a ton of money on a receiver right now because HDMI switching models are around the corner. granted it will be a while before they hit the $400 pricepoint, and if that's your max you might as well buy something like the pioneer mentioned above...especially if you have a second home theater room/bedroom to relegate it to down the road.
Old 02-06-05, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by broadwayblue
personally i wouldn't spend a ton of money on a receiver right now because HDMI switching models are around the corner.
This is why I've decided not to upgrade at the present time. I have an old Technics (Panasonic) SA-DX1050 that is very bare-bones, but it sounds OK and does the job. I'm itching to upgrade to a more sophisticated unit, but I'm also waiting until next year to upgrade my display.

At that point -- with a digital HD display and the accompanying upgrade to digital cable (or sat) plus a DVD player upgrade -- I'm certain to need a new receiver. It really makes more sense to me to do the entire upgrade as part of a single plan, one that accounts for the switching, zoning, and remote-control capabilities of all the components.

Looking at how quickly component switching and up-conversion became available in the <$500 class of receivers (a year ago it was a premium feature), I have little doubt we'll see HDMI/DVI switching become affordable in short order.

RichC
Old 02-06-05, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

with this switching feature, does that mean I can have all my stuff go thru one HDMI cable fromt he receiver to the TV?

If so, I too am going to wait.
Old 02-06-05, 04:02 PM

That's the idea, yes. Current "upconverting" receivers with component outputs take all sources -- composite, s-video, component -- and convert as necessary so that only one connection to the TV is necessary, and all switching can be done through the receiver. A DVI/HDMI switching/upconverting unit would do the same.

Right now, the only models that do this are very high-end ($4000-ish) units, but it's a feature that I expect to work its way down to the mainstream rather quickly.

RichC
Old 02-07-05, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

what is the brand/model of your tv and dvd player? If you are using high-end video sources, you won't want to switch them using a receiver. I would run the DVD player into the tv, and switch the others. At this price point, I wouldn't make component switching a make or break feature - you get a component switcher for ~100.

What is it that you don't like about your current receiver (for that matter, what is the brand/model of your receiver)? Also, please let us know what speakers you are using so we can get a better idea of what receiver might make a good fit.
Old 02-07-05, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Harman Kardon all the way. If I had the cash, I'd jump all over that AVR630 deal and upgrade mine.
Old 02-08-05, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

for the money, the Marantz SR5500 (msrp 650) or the Marantz SR7400 (msrp 1000) are amazing receivers. However, depending on your current setup, you may want to consider upgrading your speakers (this, of course, depends on what you are using right now).

I currently have the upgrade bug for a new digital front-end. I'm currently looking at the Perpetual Tech P-3A/P-1A combo... HT is so much fun...