Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need some advice on buying a subwoofer...

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Need some advice on buying a subwoofer...

Old 02-09-05, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chess
Ahhh...The infamous Joe six pack. I don't think Joe has a sub in his system at all.

I don't know if you're a car guy, but I'll use sports cars as an example. Some folks appreciate value and buy an S2000 or an MSM Turbo, both very well balanced and refined sports cars. Other folks think that a Porsche is worth twice as much as an S2000, but it clearly offers only slightly superior performance. Joe six pack is irrelevant, because he buys a Camaro or something. Similarly, I think that spending $500 on a sub when you can get one that meets your needs 99.5% of the time for half the price makes very little sense.

I know a bit about movies with a lot of LFE, as I think I have most of them (aven the crappy Michael Bay stuff).

By the way, everybody has hearing loss/damage...especially those who watch movies at reference level in their living rooms.
Guess it depends on what you needs are. I have heard your sub, and even recommended it to a friend. It sounded great for the $$ he paid, but that is really all I can say about it. If you don't have much money, it would fit the bill. However, if you can afford a better sub there is NO reason you should stay with the sony. I personally could never fully appreciate a movie/music if that was the sub I was using. I do agree with your basic argument regarding hearing, but the sub also should be felt. It should also sound smooth and accurate. A cheap sony does not do this, at least not to the degree of a higher quality sub. I am not sure what other equipment you are using, but to be it makes no sense to use such an inferior sub if you can afford better.

And to the poster who questioned the quality of Velodyne - you are wrong. I used to own a velodyne and thought it was a fine sub - no problems at all. Velodyne makes great subs - some of which would kick the crap out of a SVS - in my opinion....

My advise to the OP - spend what you can afford, however if you try to skimp, you will probably regret it later.
Old 02-10-05, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chess
Ahhh...The infamous Joe six pack. I don't think Joe has a sub in his system at all.

I don't know if you're a car guy, but I'll use sports cars as an example. Some folks appreciate value and buy an S2000 or an MSM Turbo, both very well balanced and refined sports cars. Other folks think that a Porsche is worth twice as much as an S2000, but it clearly offers only slightly superior performance. Joe six pack is irrelevant, because he buys a Camaro or something. Similarly, I think that spending $500 on a sub when you can get one that meets your needs 99.5% of the time for half the price makes very little sense.

I know a bit about movies with a lot of LFE, as I think I have most of them (aven the crappy Michael Bay stuff).

By the way, everybody has hearing loss/damage...especially those who watch movies at reference level in their living rooms.
I guess I'm out of touch, because I consider the $500 subs to be "budget" models .

I agree that enthusiasts in all areas have a tendency to go overboard. I'm guilty of it myself. But as the old saying goes "You get what you pay for".

As for that car analogy, you left out the all important poontang factor in your equation. The guy with Porsche is going to get waaay more action than the fellow in the Honda.

Reference level in a decent sized dedicated HT room, thats been properly calibrated isn't that hard on the ears. At least I hope it isn't.

Last edited by Thrush; 02-10-05 at 01:05 AM.
Old 02-10-05, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The parts express tiny mighty is a decent sub and gets below 35 hz I have one and an HSU designed BIC sub. I'm sure that SVS makes great subs but for those on a budget the PE sub is gangbusters for the money. For the $100 or so dollars you can always give it away when you upgrade later although I dont see myself ever giving mine away it will serve well for a computer sub or in the bedroom later.
Old 02-10-05, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I guess I'm out of touch, because I consider the $500 subs to be "budget" models
Nothing wrong with spending money if you have it or simply want to.

I didn't pay $500 for my SVS pc20-39 including the cable and the shipping. Even though I have it on a specially built platform that is isolated from the room walls and filled with 120 pounds of sand, I can still feel the vibrations on the third floor of my house.
Old 02-10-05, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
Nothing wrong with spending money if you have it or simply want to.

I didn't pay $500 for my SVS pc20-39 including the cable and the shipping. Even though I have it on a specially built platform that is isolated from the room walls and filled with 120 pounds of sand, I can still feel the vibrations on the third floor of my house.
I take it you like your sub? Did you get it used? I see it listed for $600 new. What did you use prior to getting this one?

A friend is looking for a new sub and I told him to check out the SVS line. The one you have is basically the one he is looking at - but he can't decide between the regular or +. I believe the only difference is the + amp has more power. I have never heard an SVS, but all the reviews seem to be good, esp at that price range.

He currently has a Vel CT-120, but he wants something with more impact.
Old 02-10-05, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cpgator
I take it you like your sub? Did you get it used? I see it listed for $600 new. What did you use prior to getting this one?

A friend is looking for a new sub and I told him to check out the SVS line. The one you have is basically the one he is looking at - but he can't decide between the regular or +. I believe the only difference is the + amp has more power. I have never heard an SVS, but all the reviews seem to be good, esp at that price range.

He currently has a Vel CT-120, but he wants something with more impact.
This was a new sub for my new theater. I got it from the "B" stock page at SVS which is basically a sub that has a cosmetic defect or other non performance issue.

I love this sub and it is the biggest value in my entire theater. I wish everything I had was a similar cost to performance ratio. I highly recommend this sub. I bought it based on the web feedback and I have never regretted it.
Old 02-10-05, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This was a new sub for my new theater. I got it from the "B" stock page at SVS which is basically a sub that has a cosmetic defect or other non performance issue.

I love this sub and it is the biggest value in my entire theater. I wish everything I had was a similar cost to performance ratio. I highly recommend this sub. I bought it based on the web feedback and I have never regretted it.
Thanks for the reply. Do you think the bigger amp in the + series would make that much of a difference?

Nice set up btw.
Old 02-10-05, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cpgator
Thanks for the reply. Do you think the bigger amp in the + series would make that much of a difference?

Nice set up btw.
Thanks!

I am happy with the amp in mine (320w). Alot would depend on your room size. My room is 19x15. It already shakes things I thought were tight, I can't imagine needing or even wanting more power.
Old 02-10-05, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks!

I am happy with the amp in mine (320w). Alot would depend on your room size. My room is 19x15. It already shakes things I thought were tight, I can't imagine needing or even wanting more power.
That is kinda what I though. My sub has a 400w amp, and I usually keep it at only 20-25% volume. His room is about the same size at yours, but it is not closed in like yours.
Old 02-17-05, 07:02 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Frank S
To say JBL Pro subs suck is one of the most reduculous statements I have seen here in years! JBL Pro is THE speaker of choice for the pros in studios and on stage
No Kidding! I can't speak for home theater, but I have a full JBL M-Pro PA system in my house with a Crown-powered MP-418SP.
http://www.jblpro.com/mpro/series_400.htm
Freaking unbelievable is the only way to put it. 660 watts RMS of effortless power, and that's only one of the two channels. If the person who downed JBL Pro wants to come over, I'd be glad to hold a clinic for them. I have 2 friends who have spent many thousands of dollars on their "high end" HT's. One has multiple subs on his system, and still can't compete with the MPro.
Jon

Last edited by SubZeri; 02-17-05 at 07:14 PM.
Old 02-17-05, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by SubZeri
No Kidding! I can't speak for home theater, but I have a full JBL M-Pro PA system in my house with a Crown-powered MP-418SP.
http://www.jblpro.com/mpro/series_400.htm
Freaking unbelievable is the only way to put it. 660 watts RMS of effortless power, and that's only one of the two channels. If the person who downed JBL Pro wants to come over, I'd be glad to hold a clinic for them. I have 2 friends who have spent many thousands of dollars on their "high end" HT's. One has multiple subs on his system, and still can't compete with the MPro.
Jon
From the specs on the link provided, the frequency response of the subs listed cannot go down below 36 htz. They may be excellent for music (as you have stated) but many movie DVDs now have scenes that go below 20 htz. For that kind of money, I would spend it on a SVS PC+ or a HSU for a home theater application.
Old 02-17-05, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by hoyalawya
From the specs on the link provided, the frequency response of the subs listed cannot go down below 36 htz. They may be excellent for music (as you have stated) but many movie DVDs now have scenes that go below 20 htz. For that kind of money, I would spend it on a SVS PC+ or a HSU for a home theater application.
You need to look at JBL's like THIS to get a better idea of JBL PRO stuff. And this is not the custom Pro stuff on the high end either.
Old 02-18-05, 01:27 AM

Another vote goes for the SVS subs. I am the proud owner of a 16-46 PC+ and a PC Ultra that I run together as dual cylinders in my dedicated home theater room 12'x11' converted spare bedroom. I love all of the extra headroom that these subs provide while working together and they have eliminated the need for bass shakers as my whole house shakes when LFE is present.
I am a bass nut and probably represent .5% of the Home Theater owners out there, but when I watch a movie, I love to feel like I am in the movie.
Even the entry level SVS or HSU will be a bigger value dollar for dollar then other subs at that price range. Something else with SVS or HSU, I have never seen anyone who has successfully calibrated and setup their subs complain about them or be dissatisfied.
Old 02-19-05, 09:09 PM

Put a vote in for an SVS from me too. I doubt you will be dissapointed and you get 45 days to live with it vs 30 days.