Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

I am sure this has been asked a lot but looking for best price on cables.

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-05, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought my first HDTV and now will need to get cables to make the most of it. I am looking for good prices on component and coaxial cables. I know Monster cables are incredibly over priced but I am looking for good quality with out the Monster Ouch! to my wallet. I am using optical from my dvd player to my receiver but need a better sound going from my tv to my receiver. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-31-05, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I haven't purchased from them but have heard, again and again, that Blue Jeans Cable produces a great product at reasonable prices.

For the even-more-budget-minded, Acoustic Research products are apparently also a good value; the Performance Series can be found at Best Buy and at numerous e-tailers, and on FleaBay for considerably less. The Pro and Master Series cables from AR, their higher-end stuff, are supposedly excellent.
Old 01-31-05, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Acoustic Research
Old 01-31-05, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
I bought some "older" Acoustic Research cables off E-Bay recently and I know I couldn't have bought them here in town at the price I paid for. These are "new" but like last or previous year model. Stock over-runs,store closing-who knows or cares. I got two of the top line 6' Optic Cable that was two years old ,still new in the box at $10 each. There was still a price tag on the packaging that was - $50 each!

The two I dealt with on E-Bay are-
[email protected] and [email protected]

Kenny J.
Old 01-31-05, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I purchased several cables for my theater from www.bettercables.com
Whoops, thanks for the correction

Last edited by Brian Shannon; 02-01-05 at 04:38 PM.
Old 01-31-05, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
I purchased several cables for my theater from www.betterables.com
I think Brian meant Better Cables
Old 01-31-05, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That's what I've been using...Acoustic Research Pro Series II. Moderately priced (between high and low end cables) and makes my stuff look and sound great.
Old 02-01-05, 08:51 AM

another vote for bluejeanscable.com excellent cables at a relatively (relative to quality) great price. I also have a few arproII cables and ar master series cables - I'd say that the ar master series component cables compete well with the bluejeanscable component cables in build quality - although I'm not sure what cable was used for the ar master series cables. I would steer away from the vanilla acoustic research cables, I believe ac4l.com has an ongoing sale on the ar pro1's and ar pro2's
Old 02-01-05, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by K&AJones
I got two of the top line 6' Optic Cable that was two years old ,still new in the box at $10 each. There was still a price tag on the packaging that was - $50 each!
Just a note. There is absolutely no reason to pay more than the minimum you can get away with for Optical cables. I'm all for getting good quality speaker cables, coax, digital coax, etc, but I buy my Optical cables for $1.99 off ebay. The ONLY possible reason to pay any more than that is for good connectors (mine are a little cheap and could potentially come loose if I pulled them in and out repeatedly) as there is no possible way for the digital signal to degrade in anyway. Don't believe the hype about "reducing jitter" or any of that other crap. It's a scam plain and simple by the cable manufacturers to get you to pay $50 for a fiber optic cable.