DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Monster HTS 5000 - causes hum on cable line?

Old 01-29-05, 12:39 PM
boe
Suspended

Monster HTS 5000 - causes hum on cable line?

I was worried about potential damage caused by spikes in the cable TV line so I plugged into the in(made sure it isn't the out) on my HTS 5000. The hum on my subwoofer significantly increases when I do this.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Old 01-29-05, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't plug it in?

Not sure, I do know that when I tried to connect my sat to my surge protector I lost nearly 10db of signal so I stopped doing it. Might be a group loop hum that can be fixed with a ground loop isolator at Radio Shack although I think I would opt for not connecting the cable.
Old 01-30-05, 06:56 PM

I just bought an 1100 and ran my cable through it. I had my cable company in to do some re-wiring and pointed out a half inch thick horizontal bar that scrolled from the bottom of my tv (a Sony 50in LCD rp) to the top, to the tech. He took the cable out of the power bar and the scrolling bar vanished. I took the power bar back to the store, and they gave me a new one, but it does the same thing---almost...I'm starting to think its not worth the money!
Old 01-31-05, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mawebbo
I just bought an 1100 and ran my cable through it. I had my cable company in to do some re-wiring and pointed out a half inch thick horizontal bar that scrolled from the bottom of my tv (a Sony 50in LCD rp) to the top, to the tech. He took the cable out of the power bar and the scrolling bar vanished. I took the power bar back to the store, and they gave me a new one, but it does the same thing---almost...I'm starting to think its not worth the money!
There is wisdom in those last few word, grasshopper. Even without any horizontal bar.....
Old 01-31-05, 07:28 PM

You are right---I should have known better! It looks so cool though, with all the neat colored light on it.
Old 02-01-05, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mawebbo
You are right---I should have known better! It looks so cool though, with all the neat colored light on it.
Buy a string of Christmas lights for $1.99 and drape them over a Belkin surge protector. $^)