DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Help me , help my Grandmother (need a TV expert)

Old 01-28-05, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Help me , help my Grandmother (need a TV expert)

Ok, so my grandmother needs some help. Ever since I helped her shut off the red blinking light on her tv she thinks I am an electronics genius. I don't want to dissappoint her so I ask for your help.

She has a Panasonic Combo TV/VCR (13 inch) (model # PV-M13???). I believe it is anywhere from three to five years old. When she watches TV the color craps out on her. It will sometimes show color sometime black and white. It apears to be kind of random, no amount of fidgeting with the remote or slapping it seems to affect it. Any ideas about what is going on with it? Or how much it would cost to repair or replace the thingamajig that is probably broken or loose? Is it even worth it on a TV like this?

Any help is greatly appreciated as it will aid me in keeping my genius status with the Grams.
Old 01-28-05, 11:06 PM
X
Administrator

Show her how much you love her and buy her a new 20" TV for a couple hundred bucks.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....5&type=product
Old 01-28-05, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by X
Show her how much you love her and buy her a new 20" TV for a couple hundred bucks.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....5&type=product
Yeah, thats what I wanted to do, but she won't have it! I was planning on taking it to be "fixed" and coming back with a new 27 incher, but she can read me like a book. For some reason she doesn't want me to get her one...So my next plan is to just get this one fixed, for whatever it costs, (unless it is unreasonable) and I will tell her that it was an easy fix and only cost like 10 bucks. Oh well...
Old 01-29-05, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I can almost guarantee you it will cost more to repair that one than buy a new one, or it will at least be close enough to not bother with it.
Old 01-29-05, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
I can almost guarantee you it will cost more to repair that one than buy a new one, or it will at least be close enough to not bother with it.

Thats what I was thinking. Oh well, I guess I will have to convince her to let me get a new one! Thanks for the help...
Old 01-29-05, 01:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dave-o
Yeah, thats what I wanted to do, but she won't have it! I was planning on taking it to be "fixed" and coming back with a new 27 incher, but she can read me like a book. For some reason she doesn't want me to get her one...So my next plan is to just get this one fixed, for whatever it costs, (unless it is unreasonable) and I will tell her that it was an easy fix and only cost like 10 bucks. Oh well...
Tell her that it will cost more to fix and take her to the local bestbuy and try to bargain with the employees.... sometimes it will work