DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Matching Speakers

Old 01-26-05, 08:55 AM

Matching Speakers

I got a great deal on some JBL surrounds. Do I need to match them with a JBL center? I understand that I don't HAVE to, but can someone please give me some pros and cons.
Old 01-26-05, 09:09 AM

If the front three speakers are not matched, there may be a noticable difference in volume level between the dialog (center) and the rest of the soundtrack (fronts). This will be most noticable when the action (and the sound) travels across the front stage from one side to the other through the center. I have tried another pair of fronts that had a small difference in efficiency from the originals. I really noticed it.
Old 01-26-05, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by cseaw
I got a great deal on some JBL surrounds. Do I need to match them with a JBL center? I understand that I don't HAVE to, but can someone please give me some pros and cons.
I wouldn't worry about it too much, especially if you use the system mostly for movies. Having the surrounds be timbre-matched to the other three speakers becomes more important with surround music discs, where all five channels may be considered "main."

Timbre-matching across the front three speakers is more critical. I've heard systems where the center speaker was so badly matched to the mains that it sounded better in "phantom" mode than it did with the center speaker active.

Still, there's nothing better than a system where all of the full-range channels match.

RichC
Old 01-27-05, 01:15 AM

Wow. Thanks for the help guys.