DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Need Region Free DVD player that auto converts to 4:3

Old 01-21-05, 03:17 AM

Need Region Free DVD player that auto converts to 4:3

I have a Samsung widescreen CRT HDTV. My problem is that most of the DVD players I hook up to it (tried a Sony, JVC, Panasonic, and Pioneer) will display 4:3 movies stretched to 16:9. The only player that changes the 4:3 movies automatically is my Toshiba SD-3800. I can't change the viewing size from my TV with components that are plugged into it through the component inputs (S-video and composite work fine this way but there goes my progressive scanning and image quality), and I've tried every setting possible on the DVD players as well as my TV.

So, I need a Region Free DVD player (one where I don't have to put in a code everytime) that also converts PAL to NTSC which will auto-convert 4:3 movies for me. I've been looking at the Toshibas (SD-3900 and SD-4900)since that was the only thing that has been working for me so far, but I'd like to look at more options. Suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 01-21-05, 04:44 AM

my momitsu dvd player diplays 4:3 dvds as 4:3 on my 16x9 tv.