DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

HDTV - Need advice on buying one

Old 01-20-05, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

HDTV - Need advice on buying one

Ok, my friend is looking into buying an HDTV really soon. Not sure how much he wants to spend, but I'll say around $2,000 or less preferrably

I have a 55" Mits, and he is impressed with that. I know Rear Projection is fine, since space is not REALLY a big issue.

I guess 720P would be a good addition (I know I only get 480P and 1080i with the Mits).

He going to mainly use it for DVD's and XBOX, along with some digital cable (which he may upgrade do HDTV box if he gets one)

So, what TV's have GOOD reputations now these days? Sony, Toshiba, Mits, Pioneer (my friend had a Pioneer and I was not impressed)

I think he is looking for around the 50"-57" size also.....

any help would be appreciated, and GOOD prices!

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-20-05, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why would you want a rear projection TV?? Do you know that they are SO INFERIOR to either Plasma or LCD that the Japanese makers of them DO NOT even offer them for sale here in Japan, they only offer them for sale in markets which are "not so concerned" about picture quality.

As to Plasma TV's, Sony will "probably" stop supporting Plasma TV's here in Japan sometime in 2005. Why? Life expectancy of a Plasma Screen is around 8,000 hours, while an LCD screen's life is 50,000 - 60,000 hours. The only reason they produced Plasma TV's at all was because the technology did NOT exist to make LCD screens larger than 32 inches. That technology DOES NOW exist, in fact they are now making LCD TV's up to 65", although they are limited in number and very pricey! Price of LCD TV's is expected to drop by 30% this calendar year.
Old 01-21-05, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Honestly, I've seen some RPTV that surpass plasma or LCD in terms of quality. Also, plasma and LCD are usually a good $2,000 more than a RPTV.

I've seen LCD Rear Projection, but not sure about that technology, don't know enough.

He wants a 55" or larger TV, and if got a Plasma or LCD that size....it would be WAY too expensive for his budget. I know DLP is a bit cheaper for some....but still probably more than he wants to spend.

My Rear Projection TV is GREAT in quality.
Old 01-21-05, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would have to agree. My Panasonic is rear projection and it has great quality especially since I started using a DVI cable. Awesome.
Old 01-21-05, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by danwiz
Why would you want a rear projection TV?? Do you know that they are SO INFERIOR to either Plasma or LCD that the Japanese makers of them DO NOT even offer them for sale here in Japan, they only offer them for sale in markets which are "not so concerned" about picture quality.
First I ever hear this statement.
Old 01-21-05, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think it has more to do with the market than with the technology. The japanese market is very space-conscience: a big RPTV doesn't fit into most folks living space. This is also why HMDs are relatively popular over there whereas they are still an oddity in the US.
Old 01-21-05, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Pistol Pete
I think it has more to do with the market than with the technology. The japanese market is very space-conscience: a big RPTV doesn't fit into most folks living space. This is also why HMDs are relatively popular over there whereas they are still an oddity in the US.
That is also why in Japan their broadband runs around 50 MB/s for roughly $37.99. An awful lot of people in a very small space.

The statement that RPTV picture quality is inferior to plasma or LCD is laughable. Head over to the Spot and talk to people who are really serious about home theaters and do this stuff for a living and they will tell you that RPTV have the best picture quality period.

As for the original question, the majority opinion seems to be that Mits is the best one on the market. I just picked up a 65515 and I love it. If your friend is willing to expand his budget just a but the Tweeter stores are blowing out the 813 Diamond series model and you can pick up a 55" for $2499 or the 65" for $2999. That set is arguable the best TV on the market for picture quality.
Old 01-21-05, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As to Plasma TV's, Sony will "probably" stop supporting Plasma TV's here in Japan sometime in 2005. Why? Life expectancy of a Plasma Screen is around 8,000 hours, while an LCD screen's life is 50,000 - 60,000 hours. The only reason they produced Plasma TV's at all was because the technology did NOT exist to make LCD screens larger than 32 inches. That technology DOES NOW exist, in fact they are now making LCD TV's up to 65", although they are limited in number and very pricey! Price of LCD TV's is expected to drop by 30% this calendar year.
Wow. WTF?
Old 01-23-05, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Mits HDs have an incredible picture; a friend of mine has the 65515 for $2100 and it looks great. I bought the Hitachi 57F510 for $1700 and it has a beautiful picture as well. Yes, RP is a bit fussy about tweaking in but once you do so it will blow you away......and just this week I've seen some pronounced drops in prices, I'm assuming because of the impending Super Bowl.........
Old 01-24-05, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, I noticed Best Buy has the Mits WS55315 for $1800, and a $200 Gifct Card w/purchase this week. They also have the WS5515 for the same price....I may have to convince him to buy that.