DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

So an HDMI connection is the way to go with an HDTV?

Old 01-20-05, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk God

So an HDMI connection is the way to go with an HDTV?

So I will be getting my first HDTV tomorrow. It has an HDMI input. I guess it is safe to assume that this is the preferred input (over component and S-video) for a DVD player. As such, I am in the market for a new DVD player (as my first one is all but dead, and I am now relying on my PS2). I suppose one with a HDMI output would be preferred. Don't want anything fancy, and I came across this one...

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.proc...eed.TOS+SD5970

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Red Dog; 01-20-05 at 12:47 PM.
Old 01-20-05, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess it is safe to assume that this is the preferred input (over component and S-video) for a DVD player.
For now . . . maybe.

http://www.technofile.com/articles/hdmi.html
Old 01-20-05, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know anything about that particular player. I have the Momitsu V880-DX:

http://www.hkflix.com/hardware/xq/as...qx/details.htm

It's about $100 more than the player you are looking at... but has *fantastic* picture quality, and is also region-free.
Old 01-20-05, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You don't say what kind of HDTV you're getting. If its a digital display then using a digital connection like DVI or HDMI would be better. If it's a analog display then you can use plain old component for DVD or HD signals and it won't matter much. Now if you want to get a DVD player that upscales to HD resolutions then DVI/HDMI is pretty much the only connection type you can use.
Old 01-20-05, 03:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bboisvert
I don't know anything about that particular player. I have the Momitsu V880-DX:

http://www.hkflix.com/hardware/xq/as...qx/details.htm

It's about $100 more than the player you are looking at... but has *fantastic* picture quality, and is also region-free.
but does it do pal?
Old 01-20-05, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
but does it do pal?
Yup. Here's a detailed review:

http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/video...pressions.html

I'm really very happy with it. I auditioned a few different players when I got my Toshiba 46H84 and this one won by far... I'm sure there are better players out there, but I doubt there are any with better picture quality in the $250 range.
Old 01-20-05, 04:14 PM
Banned

What's the difference between the two lower priced ones? I couldn't see one when I did a comparison. There's one that's $30 less. Momitsu as well.
Old 01-20-05, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by chipmac
You don't say what kind of HDTV you're getting. If its a digital display then using a digital connection like DVI or HDMI would be better. If it's a analog display then you can use plain old component for DVD or HD signals and it won't matter much. Now if you want to get a DVD player that upscales to HD resolutions then DVI/HDMI is pretty much the only connection type you can use.
Sony 42" Grand Wega (KDF-42WE655)
http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_t...sterid=3762095
Old 01-20-05, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
What's the difference between the two lower priced ones? I couldn't see one when I did a comparison. There's one that's $30 less. Momitsu as well.
I'm only guessing without model numbers in front of me... but there are two different versions of the V880. The initial one and the "deluxe" model (often called the V880-DX). The deluxe model is basically the V880 version 2... it has some additional tweaks to improve component output, and a new "improved" remote control. (I still think the remote is pretty pathetic, but the previous one was apparently awful -- fragile as hell, etc.)

There's also the V880N, which adds wireless networking to the equation for those that want to create a digital media center. It's about $350 or so...
Old 01-20-05, 04:29 PM
Banned

That's what I was talking about. Ugh...i don't have the funds for this right now but I just may have to bite
Old 01-22-05, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Red Dog
So I will be getting my first HDTV tomorrow. It has an HDMI input. I guess it is safe to assume that this is the preferred input (over component and S-video) for a DVD player. As such, I am in the market for a new DVD player (as my first one is all but dead, and I am now relying on my PS2). I suppose one with a HDMI output would be preferred. Don't want anything fancy, and I came across this one...

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.proc...eed.TOS+SD5970

Any thoughts?
I am also in market for a new DVD player. I have been doing way too much research on this stuff and am now more confused than ever (not to mention the constant nose bleeds I keep getting). But I will say this. That Toshiba was one of the ones I was considering (keyword: WAS). I have since been having serious doubts about it. You might want to do a search about it over at the AVS forum. I think there were a lot of complaints about glitches and problems with this player.

I would love to be more specific, but I just spent three hours reading through threads there and I fear that I have overloaded my brain so much that I can barely type this reponse...
Old 01-22-05, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

RD, did you search around www.hometheaterforum.com or www.avsforum.com to get others' impressions of DVD players w/ an HDMI output?

Remember - even if you get a DVD player w/ a DVI output, you can always get an HDMI to DVI interconnect from someone like Belkin Pure AV.
Old 01-22-05, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

OK so you've got a digital HDTV display so you'd be better off with using HDMI for connecting. You might also be better off with a DVD player that scales to 720p through HDMI like the Sony DVDP ns975v but it looks like your TV will still need to scale to 788p for display. Once you get a scaling player connected you can decide to leave it at 480i output and let the TV scale or if the player scaling would be better.
Old 01-23-05, 01:15 AM
Banned

I know this might be too far off but will HD-DVD players upconvert SD-DVD's as well when they're introduced?
Old 01-23-05, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm guessing it could go either way but if they're smart they wouldn't make it do too good of a job or nobody will upgrade to the newer discs. I mean if the upconverted image looked so good and I own the SD version why should I buy the new HD version?
Old 01-23-05, 06:29 PM
Banned

I'm guessing it could go either way but if they're smart they wouldn't make it do too good of a job or nobody will upgrade to the newer discs. I mean if the upconverted image looked so good and I own the SD version why should I buy the new HD version?
That's exactly what i was thinking.
Old 01-24-05, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Good points, but I'd go a step further and say that if HD-DVD doesn't look much better than my upconverted standard discs, this upcoming product launch will be dead in the water.

I suspect (and maybe this is just wishful thinking) that the HD discs will look significantly better... and the players will upconvert.
Old 01-24-05, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by dave-o
I am also in market for a new DVD player. I have been doing way too much research on this stuff and am now more confused than ever (not to mention the constant nose bleeds I keep getting). But I will say this. That Toshiba was one of the ones I was considering (keyword: WAS). I have since been having serious doubts about it. You might want to do a search about it over at the AVS forum. I think there were a lot of complaints about glitches and problems with this player.

I would love to be more specific, but I just spent three hours reading through threads there and I fear that I have overloaded my brain so much that I can barely type this reponse...

Interesting. I'll have to check it out. That's surprising because I have always been impressed with Toshiba players.

As for my new TV, all I can say is wow. Watching the Pitt/UConn game Saturday and the football games yesterday in HD was amazing. It becomes so painful to watch something in SD now, particularly recordings off one of my Replays. I'll be trading in my Comcast DVR for an HDDVR soon, so will alleviate some of that problem.

Yeah, B.A., I've seen those DVI-HDMI connectors so I can always go that way as well.
Old 01-24-05, 11:49 AM
Banned

Good points, but I'd go a step further and say that if HD-DVD doesn't look much better than my upconverted standard discs, this upcoming product launch will be dead in the water.

I suspect (and maybe this is just wishful thinking) that the HD discs will look significantly better... and the players will upconvert.
do you have a player that upconverts now?
Old 01-24-05, 01:14 PM
Banned

Yes, the Momitsu. Is this conversation going in circles?
Shhh...don't tell anyone. i'll delete my posts if you do too
Old 01-24-05, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk God

As for my new TV, all I can say is wow. Watching the Pitt/UConn game Saturday and the football games yesterday in HD was amazing. It becomes so painful to watch something in SD now, particularly recordings off one of my Replays. I'll be trading in my Comcast DVR for an HDDVR soon, so will alleviate some of that problem.

Forgot to mention the big woo-hoo I let out when I realized I received the 5 Baltimore network HDs (in addtion to the local DC) on my antenna - strong signals too on 4 of the 5. CBS is weak right now but apparently WJZ is doing work on their digital transmitter and it is only at 10% power now - it will go up to full power at the end of the month. Having an extra set of CBS and FOX affiliates will definitely come in handy next football season.
Old 01-24-05, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Interesting. I'll have to check it out. That's surprising because I have always been impressed with Toshiba players.

Yeah, B.A., I've seen those DVI-HDMI connectors so I can always go that way as well.
That's what sucks for me. I have a regular DirecTivo but I also have an HD DirecTV unit. So, I watch mostly sports stuff and a few primetime shows live in HD, and the rest on my DirecTivo in SD. It's hard to go back and forth once you are spoiled w/ HD.
Old 01-24-05, 08:08 PM

Hi,
As far as I'm concerned the new HIREZ video formats are most valuable to the new HT investor. No machine and no discs. I would pickup something at WalMart until they do and then use your HDMI for a quality HIREZ player.

I'm an early adopter with component only but quite frankly I'm in no rush. My set is ISF'd to the eyeballs including reversal of the rflective screen. I use an SDI modified RP82 with a HOLO3D scaler and scale everything to 1080i. Since I also have a HD PVR, I A/B recorded HD movies with my scaled dvd's all the time. The HD movies are slightly better but my scaler is not an expensive one. They are better enough though for me to repeat my library.

Back to HDMI, the amount you will hopefully save on cables should help contibute to the purchase of a well reviewd HIREZ player and then you can start your library fresh if you plan on having one.

My advice would be to have your set ISF'd immediately (after 200hrs of breakin). If there's software in 1080i you absolutely want your set to take advantage, and your friends will drool and wonder why their sets don't have thesnap that yours does.

And NO AVIA or DVE are not the same thing as a scoped calibration but they do have many uses and are excellent to confirm your settings.

Peter M.
Old 01-24-05, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Peter M. Wilson
Hi,
As far as I'm concerned the new HIREZ video formats are most valuable to the new HT investor. No machine and no discs. I would pickup something at WalMart until they do and then use your HDMI for a quality HIREZ player.

I'm an early adopter with component only but quite frankly I'm in no rush. My set is ISF'd to the eyeballs including reversal of the rflective screen. I use an SDI modified RP82 with a HOLO3D scaler and scale everything to 1080i. Since I also have a HD PVR, I A/B recorded HD movies with my scaled dvd's all the time. The HD movies are slightly better but my scaler is not an expensive one. They are better enough though for me to repeat my library.

Back to HDMI, the amount you will hopefully save on cables should help contibute to the purchase of a well reviewd HIREZ player and then you can start your library fresh if you plan on having one.

My advice would be to have your set ISF'd immediately (after 200hrs of breakin). If there's software in 1080i you absolutely want your set to take advantage, and your friends will drool and wonder why their sets don't have thesnap that yours does.

And NO AVIA or DVE are not the same thing as a scoped calibration but they do have many uses and are excellent to confirm your settings.

Peter M.
Can I get a glossary to go with your post? ISF'd? HIREZ? I need more details please...
Old 01-24-05, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Red Dog, I'm actually thinking about picking up the same model. You're obviously happy with the HD, but how's the DVD playback? How are the dark scenes? I've heard many sets including this one have a hard time with black levels. Some agree, but some don't. What do you think about yours? I'd be watching a lot of movies on mine, so I'm hoping it will always look good.

Glad you like the HD, we have a Sony in the living room, it's unbelieveable!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.