DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Quick Question: 'Speaker A/B Switching'

Old 01-19-05, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quick Question: 'Speaker A/B Switching'

I'm looking for a 7.1 receiver that can switch to 5.1 + 2 more speakers for another room. The one i am looking at is the Sony STRDE697 and that has 'yes' for the option, 'Speaker A/B Switching' and I was wondering if that is what's implied.

Thanks
Old 01-19-05, 06:29 PM

The phrase you'd be looking for is "multi-zone" or "multizone." A/B switching usually (on audio receivers) implies a more "simplistic" 'use either Set A or Set B' type of implementation.
Old 01-20-05, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You can use A/B switching for a second zone but will be limited to sharing the receivers power for both speakers using the same source (ie both playing the same CD or radio station) at one volume setting. A true multizone receiver like the Sone STR-DA3000ES has an actual second zone output that can pass a seperate volume controlled audio/video signal with seperate remote control via an external amplifier. I have used both and now have the second option and it is clearly better (albeit more expensive) option. I found that with the A/B switching my speakers when played A+B were too loud inside while not loud enough on the deck. Of course the volume was fine when just the deck speakers were on but then my wife couldnt watch TV in the living room (all sound routed through the receiver).
Old 01-20-05, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

thanks for the info. I want to have 5.1 in my living room, 2 speakers in my dining room, and 2 more in my kitchen. I don't think i will need to play from different sources as the speakers will all be in earshot of one another. I just want to be able to get 4 speakers on 'B' and getting something with 7.1 that allows the A/B switching seems like the easiest way to do it.