DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Philips DVDR-72 Recorder & 8x DVD+R?

Old 01-18-05, 12:54 AM
Red

Philips DVDR-72 Recorder & 8x DVD+R?

Recently, I bought some 8x TDK DVD+R discs. They don't work in my Philips DVDR-72 recorder - recorder tries recording and then about 5 seconds later, the recorder just locks up; did it to two blank discs. But, 4x TDK DVD+R discs work fine in the same recorder! Anyone know what's going on here? Should I start hoarding 4x DVD+R discs? Thanks.
Old 01-18-05, 01:53 AM

some discs work better than others. it took me awhile to figure out which dvds to use with my burner. go to vcdhelp.com and they have a nice list of burners and which media is compatible with it.
Old 01-18-05, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have the same problem with mine. I sent an email to customer service of the manufacturer asking for a firmware update so it could handle 8x media, they said they have no plans. I fear 4x is on it's way out.

I got around the problem by just using RW, putting it on the computer, and burning it out on 8x. A pain, I know, but it allows for editing that way. (The cheapo recorder I have doesn't).