DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Well, I finally did it.. I now own a HDTV

Old 01-17-05, 05:40 PM

Well, I finally did it.. I now own a HDTV

So after a year of chickening out, I finally walked out of the store with a TV today. I ended up buying the Mits 65515, a Mits 8040 DVD player and I ordered Acoustic Research Pro-II component and digital coaxial cables, plus the Avia disc. Now it is killing me waiting for everything to get here (should be thursday).

Now I have to pick out a new receiver and some speakers... I am open for suggestions. I have been looking at the Onkyo, H/K and Denon. The salesman tried to talk me into buying the Yamaha RXV1500 (I am pretty sure that is the model number) today, but I didn't bite. I am not sure I want to drop $800 on a receiver when I still live in an apartment...

Is it thursday yet??
Old 01-17-05, 06:34 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Denon Receivers are good if you look you can get the 3805 for around $900(I think). What makes it hard to recommend Onkyo(saying this as a Onkyo owner) is that the power-supply limits during tests(magazine reviews) when all speakers are being driven. What difference that may make in the real world, I don't know. Kenwood makes fairly good receivers that are cheap.
Congratulations on your purchase and enjoy it.

Last edited by bhk; 01-17-05 at 06:38 PM.
Old 01-17-05, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Congrats and enjoy.

As for the rest of the equipment I always suggest buying speakers first then the receiver (amp).
Old 01-18-05, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For the Mitsu, I'd strongly recommend getting to hometheaterspot.com for tweak tips. Besides the Avia setup (good call, much better than DVE!) you can access the service menus. This is key for setting overscan and also for straightening out the scan pattern. The convergence grid will *not* be square (never is in any rptv out of the box) but using the service menu you can straighten it out nicely.

BYW, Denon is great and I think you'd be plenty happy with a lower-priced model than the 3805. Lots of high-current power for loud, clean sound.
Old 01-18-05, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Get a Denon 1905, highly recommended.