Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Line Condiitoner and Battery Backup for New TV?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-05, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm about ready to purchase an HLP5674 and have been trying to figure out which line conditioner to buy for all my components and then realized that I'll probably also need to purchase some sort of battery backup.

I live in the Tampa Bay area so, in the past couple of years, I've experienced many, many thunderstorms, surges, and brownouts (many times all in the same day). This has caused some havoc with the electronics (and has made me purchase some battery backups to keep the TiVo and cable box running ) I have a whole house surge suppressor and several UPS and surge protectors inside the house, but I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for line conditioners and battery backups?

Would I even need the battery backup with the line conditioner (I'm guessing yes and thinking that the line conditioner would only keep constant voltage if power is running to it). During the summer rainy season, I get probably one power outage per 2 weeks (just drops for several seconds, but long enough to power off a few clocks). I was thinking of getting either the Monster Cable HTS-5000 or the Belkin PureAV Power Console PF60 for line conditioners and perhaps an APC or Tripplite battery backup. Does anyone have any experience with these models?

Anyone have any other recommendations for either batter backups or line conditioners (yes, I know that's a whole "can of worms" ) or if my choices seem pretty accurate.

Just trying to get everything ready for the new TV

Thanks all.
Old 01-08-05, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have all my equipment using APC and Belkin AVR UPS's.
My experience after lighting stike:
APC unit - 50" RPTV and PS2 on Battery outlets survived. Onkyo Reciever on surge outlet Dead. APC unit also was toast as the fault light would not go out.
APC unit - 20" Flat screen and RP-56 on Battery backup outlets survived. APC Unit Toasted with fault light.
Belkin AVR unit - 65" RPTV, Onkyo Reciever, and XP50 on Battery outlets all survived. XBox on surge outlet survived. UPS survived and operational
Belkin AVR unit - AMD 64 CPU and 21" Monitor both running during strike survived. UPS survived and operational.

It appears APC units can save connected equipment on the battery outlets but the surge outlets have low joule ratings and not recommend. APC Unit will most likely be toasted after crictical power hit.

Both AVR Belkins I use survived as well as all connected equipment on either the battery or surge outlets.
Old 01-08-05, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Awesome. Thanks for the response. I'm just about ready to buy the TV, so I'll be purchasing a Belkin soon.
Old 01-22-05, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Saw you were looking at the Belkin PF60 and wanted to give you a heads-up that I found a great price on this item, at an authorized e-tailer (here's the Belkin list of authorized sellers: Belkin: "Where To Buy" page ) no less:

Belkin AP41300-12 (PF60) for $274.89 at eCost (with free shipping!)

Please note that you have to click on "Buy Now" to see the discounted price (linked item page shows the full retail price of $749.99, which is what just about every other authorized seller is charging for this -- next lowest price I could find from an authorized seller was $579 plus shipping at Dell!). I started out looking for the lowest price on this, period, and couldn't find anyone, authorized or not, who had it in stock at a decent price, then totally stumbled on the eCost deal (saw the "shopping cart special" logo on the item page, figured it would be some small discount.... !). Ordered mine late last night (approx. 9:30 Eastern) and within an hour it showed as shipped with a UPS tracking number

All the price-tracking sites still show eCost at $749.99, which is one reason (perhaps in addition to their less-than-ideal reseller/bizrate/etc. ratings, which gave me pause as a potential first-time eCost customer... but the deal seemed worth taking a chance on) I figure they're one of the only places left with this item in stock -- even the Belkin site shows it out of stock at $749.99! eCost still shows it this morning as shipping same day.

The only reviews I've been able to find on this have all been very favorable (here's one: 12/04 review ), seems like Belkin may have gone overboard in their attempt to ensure a successful entry in the a/v market.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Edit: Here are some specs on the Belkin AP41300-12 ("PF60") for those who may not be familiar with it and/or are looking for quick info:

Belkin PureAV PF60 Power Console

Features

Level 4 Power Protection
Phase 6 PureFilter™ Circuitry with isolated Digital, Video, Audio and HiCurrent™ Filters
Advanced Overvoltage Protection
Central LCD Control Panel monitors voltage and current from individual outlet banks
Programmable outlet banks set switched and delay functionality for each outlet bank
Console design fits perfectly in your Home Theater cabinet
2 HiCurrent™ Outlets for high-power amplifiers
Network Protection (RJ45) for Media Streamer Support
Lifetime Warranty
$500,000 Connected Equipment Warranty
13 Outlets including convenient front auxiliary outlet
2 Line telephone/pay-per-view protection with splitter
7114 Joules of Surge Protection
369,000 Amp Maximum Spike Amperage
4 Pairs of Gold Coaxial Connections for coaxial cable line protection
Heavy Duty 12' SD1000 HiCurrent™ Power Cord (12AWG) with right angle plug

Link to the Belkin website product page for the PF60: Belkin PureAV™ Home Theater Power Console PF60 (AP41300-12)

Last edited by Dah-Dee; 01-22-05 at 08:15 AM.
Old 01-22-05, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

holy crap!!! I guess I'll be ordering from there Thanks a lot!
Old 01-22-05, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
That is one hell of a find, Dah-Dee! I'll have to let my dad know since he needs a power/line conditioner for his new equipment.

Thanks
Old 01-23-05, 11:16 PM

I'm glad you guys like the PF60 deal

I'd appreciate any suggestions on how best to place in this my audio rack -- should it be on a shelf by itself? Is it safe to stack another component, such as an Audio Authority 1154A, on top of this? Thanks for any input!
Old 01-24-05, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm not sure, but I guess it all depends on how hot it gets (no idea on this one) and if it's shielded (I would imagine it would be as it's their high end component). It can be rack mounted, so I'm guessing it should be OK to stack it.
Old 01-26-05, 12:07 PM

To clarify my previous post, I suppose that what I'm concerned about, even more than heat, is the possibility that having those power cords, coming into the PF60 from various components, and the PF60 itself, in such close proximity to the various audio and video cables coming in and out of the 1154A, creates some possibility for electrical/magnetic/some-kind-of interference with picture and sound signals being carried to/from audio/video components. Are heat and interference valid concerns?

I'm hoping not, because it'll be a real pain to reconfigure my a/v rack if I can't just stick the PF60 underneath the 1154A
Old 01-26-05, 08:43 PM

Well, got my new toy today, and here's how I decided to try things in the Z-Line Z24-4T rack:

Bottom Shelf: h/k AVR 7200

Next Shelf Up: Belkin PF60; Samsung SIR-T150 (stacked on top of PF60); SA 3100 HD (on top of T150)

Next Shelf Up: Panasonic DMR-E55; Zenith DVB318 (stacked on top of Panny)

Top Shelf: Audio Authority 1154A

Anyone have ideas on a better setup?

P.S. -- For those considering ordering this from eCost, it came double-boxed, with those air pillow-looking things stuffed in between the boxes, and was definitely brand new, all the wrappings and sealers/stickers where you would expect to see them.

Last edited by Dah-Dee; 01-26-05 at 08:45 PM.
Old 01-26-05, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Glad to hear yours came all wrapped up. Mine was all boxed up, but it looked like it had been tested and repackaged. There was tape around the outside of the box and it looked like the PF60 had been tested. I plugged it in to make sure it worked and everything seemed OK. The plastic cover was still over the front of the item so if it had been used, it seemed like not for long (I'm guessing someone may have got it, then sent it right back to them for some reason, then they checked it, repackaged it, then sent it out). It's still got the full Belkin warranty with it and it seemed to work, so I'm not complaining too much

Oh yes, and mine didn't even come double boxed...it was just sent in it's PureAV box with a UPS sticker on it??!? Somewhat strange.
Old 01-28-05, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also ordered one of these and got it yesterday. It was doubled boxed and everything sealed. Haven't yet hooked it up, though.

The thing that amazed me was the size (thickness) of the power cord!
Old 03-07-05, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, for anyone interested in a battery backup as well as AVR, Belkin PureAV just released a new product

http://catalog.belkin.com/PureAV_det...duct_Id=195291

I e-mailed their tech support/sales to try to figure out the setup to include a battery backup. As soon as I e-mailed, I figured I'd check their PureAV line conditioner page and found the battery backup...Argh! Why couldn't they have put this thing out 2 months ago. I guess I'll be fleabaying the PF60 and buying this one (gotta have the battery backup for my DVR and DLP for cooldown of the bulb). Even though it says it's $600 at Belkin, it seems to be everywhere for about $280. Has 8 outlets, with 6 battery backup. 40 minute uptime.