Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Best CRT RPTV sub $2000

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Best CRT RPTV sub $2000

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-04, 01:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best CRT RPTV sub $2000

I'm now looking at a CRT RPTV around the 50" size. I plan on hooking up my computer via DVI to the TV, so a DVI connection is a must (not sure i want to give it up from my computer monitor though). HDMI, as i understand it should be on all new HDTV's, so it is a must as well. I'm also going to hook my Panasonic 5disc changer(DVD-F85) through its component inputs. So the only required things i'd need would be:
DVI
HDMI
Component
an RGB port would be nice so i don't have to give up my LCD montior DVI connection. Would there be a considerable difference from the DVI to the RGB if connected to the TV? RGB is capable of HD resolutions correct? I've got some HDTV rips of some movies i'd like to output to the TV (don't worry i do own the movies on DVD).

Any other things i should be considering? Should i wait until after the Super Bowl to make the purchase? And any recommendations on what to get, stay away from?
Old 12-29-04, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Good luck finding a TV under $2000 w/ both DVI and HDMI. Most TVs only come with one or the other. I know some higher end DLP and LCD sets have both, but I don't think you'll find one in your range that has both.
Old 12-29-04, 01:11 AM

i found this Sony for 1600 at BB: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....9&type=product
Old 12-29-04, 06:36 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
LCD, DLP and LCOS (and all fixed-pixel digital technology sets in general) get the most benefit of DVI and HDMI; I don't think you're going to see that much of a difference between DVI/HDMI and component. Then again, it's easier gettng a video card with DVI than it is with component. You should be ok watching DVD's from your computer, but I'd be wary of using it as a monitor for general computer use.

For $2000 you should have a very lage number of choices in CRT-RPTV.
Old 12-29-04, 10:28 AM

yeah, i'm not going to be using it for normal computer use, just for watching TV eps i missed and for a few games. So, is there any adapters i could get ahold of to still keep the DVI for my computer monitor, and use the analog connection to go to the dvi or component connection on my new TV? My video card has DVI out, Analog out, and S-Video out(which i use now to connect to my current TV, but it won't carry the resolution on the new tv).
Old 12-29-04, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally Posted by sureAV421
That's a good find. Certainly not the standard, though.
Old 01-01-05, 05:38 PM

Actually, compared to HD CRTs, stunning XGA level plasmas such as the Pioneer PDP435 range and even high-end LCD's , there is NO such thing as a "good" Rear Pro TV !! I personally have a 32" 16:9 flatscreen CRT by SHARP (not available in the US), my next screen will either be a 34" HD CRT or the absolute "king" of them all, the Pioneer Plasma (are there seriously any other choices??)
Old 01-01-05, 05:41 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by AVPro
Actually, compared to HD CRTs, stunning XGA level plasmas such as the Pioneer PDP435 range and even high-end LCD's , there is NO such thing as a "good" Rear Pro TV !!
Old 01-01-05, 05:56 PM

I see, curiously, "X" dude does not agree with me. Really now?
Oh well, mybe DLP technology Rear Pro's nearly make the grade of being almost half decent I suppose. If you don't mind that typically totally "dark", dull, "contrasty", soft, "rainbow" afflicted and washed-out picture that all rear pro's give you....
In this day and age, I really do not know why "Dinosaurs" like Rear Pro's are still around. Oh dear!
Old 01-01-05, 06:01 PM
X
Administrator

Go compare the lines of resolution of your 32" 16:9 flatscreen CRT by SHARP with the lines of resolution provided by a CRT RPTV with 7" or 9" tubes.
Old 01-01-05, 06:12 PM

My lovely 32" 16:9 flatscreen CRT by SHARP maxes out at 625i coming from my Pioneer DV575AK via RGB SCART, but that's really not the issue here, is it?
Great! But....7" or 9" tubes does nothing to address the typically totally "dark", dull, "contrasty", soft, "rainbow" afflicted and washed-out picture that all rear pro's give you - looking at that, what would all the resolution the world help then? Besides, I'm comparing big BRIGHT beautiful 43" Pioneer Plasma screens (1024 x 768 XGA) with the old inferior Rear Pro "dinosours" - sha-ha!
Old 01-01-05, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 01-01-05, 08:42 PM
X
Administrator

Yeah, for a while I thought danol moved to Europe.