Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

TV not receiving DVD signal

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-04, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Everyone,

I've just bought a DVD recorder for my mother for Christmas, but can't pick up the signal on her TV. (I can get the sound which is directed to the amplifier). I suspect that the TV - a twenty year old Rank Arena, can't interpret the high frequency signal of the DVD. Is there anything I can do / buy to make the two compatible, or do I have to buy an new TV for her?

David
Old 12-28-04, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Buy a new TV or an RF demodulator. Also I am not familar with that TV. Is that a US TV?
Old 12-28-04, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What do you mean, "high frequency signal of the DVD"? How are you trying to connect the DVD player to the TV?
Old 12-28-04, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
Buy a new TV or an RF demodulator. Also I am not familar with that TV. Is that a US TV?
Thanks Brian - Rank Arena is now NEC. It's an Australian make (that give's it's age away - it was actually made in Australia!) It's a top quality reception - therefore I'm reluctant to replace it if I can avoid it.

It has a VLF, VHF and UHF frequency range - which I thought would be OK to receive the DVD signal. Anyway, I'll check out your suggestion re the demodulator. I'm not techy - but now that I know the right question to ask, I might be able to sort this out.

Thanks for your help.

David
Old 12-28-04, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
What do you mean, "high frequency signal of the DVD"? How are you trying to connect the DVD player to the TV?

Thanks for your reply, Mr Salty. The TV has VLF, VHF and UHF frequencies, more than adequate for the VCR I am trying to replace. I've simply replaced the antenna input and output wires from the VCR to the DVD. I'm guessing (as I'm not techincal!) that the DVD sends a signal at a higher frequency than the VCR and that the TV is too old to receive at the higher frequency.

Brian Shannon has suggested an RF Demodulator.

BTW, I should have mentioned, I'm in Australia. Rank Arena is an Australian-made TV. The company is now part of NEC.

Cheers

David
Old 12-28-04, 06:55 PM

Are you changing the input on the tv? You may have to set channel on tv to Video 1 (if in the Video 1 inputs on tv), instead of channel 3. Try these inputs, if not already there.
Good luck!
Old 12-28-04, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The signal output by a DVD player isn't, strictly speaking, a "frequency." Signals from an antenna or VCR are modulated radio frequencies, broadcast on a certain channel (which is why VCRs connect through Channel 3 or 4).

A DVD player does not put oout a radio frequency. It outputs a straight video signal through one cable, with the audio carried on a separate cable.

Brian is right. You'll need to buy an RF modulator, which takes the audio and video signals from the DVD player and converts them to a radio frequency (hence the RF). The RF modulator will then carry the RF signal to your TV's VHF input over Channel 3 or 4 (at least those are the channels used here in the U.S.)

An RF modulator will cost about $25 U.S.
Old 12-29-04, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
In Australia, that RF Modulator will cost you, ohh, maybe the equivalent of $2500 USD.

j/k. I hope.
Old 12-30-04, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by emoxley
Are you changing the input on the tv? You may have to set channel on tv to Video 1 (if in the Video 1 inputs on tv), instead of channel 3. Try these inputs, if not already there.
Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestion - I've scanned across all chanels, but I really do think it is the age of the TV..... I'll see if I can track down this RF demodulator that has been suggested. Thanks
Old 12-30-04, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
The signal output by a DVD player isn't, strictly speaking, a "frequency." Signals from an antenna or VCR are modulated radio frequencies, broadcast on a certain channel (which is why VCRs connect through Channel 3 or 4).

A DVD player does not put oout a radio frequency. It outputs a straight video signal through one cable, with the audio carried on a separate cable.

Brian is right. You'll need to buy an RF modulator, which takes the audio and video signals from the DVD player and converts them to a radio frequency (hence the RF). The RF modulator will then carry the RF signal to your TV's VHF input over Channel 3 or 4 (at least those are the channels used here in the U.S.)

An RF modulator will cost about $25 U.S.
Thanks for this information - it makes it very much easier to know what I should be asking for at the electronics store - I like theUSD25 idea .... the USD2,500 doesn't appeal so much!

Cheers
Old 12-30-04, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
In Australia, that RF Modulator will cost you, ohh, maybe the equivalent of $2500 USD.

j/k. I hope.
That's equal to about 20 TVs of 27 inches over here .... I'll hope for the USD25