Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

My Sub is picking up Radio transmissions

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-04, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all,

The other day I was watching a quiet scene from a movie in my Theater, and I heard some strange noise. I paused the movie, and sure enough, there was radio feeding coming from my Sub -- real faint, but enough to notice. I also turned my TV and receiver off, and the feed was still audible. I shut the sub off, and then the noise, obviously, stopped..... Then when I turned it back on, there was no radio......for a little while, then it came back... This is the first time i have noticed this in over 2 years... Any ideas?

Thanks,

Matt
Old 12-28-04, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Radio Shack and others sells ferrite (iron) wraps for your power cable that might possibly fix this. Otherwise, try using a different outlet, or a different/better surge protector. Obviously, I'm guessing the radio is coming through the power line. To confirm this, disconnect all other cables and see if you still have the problem.
Old 12-30-04, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep, I agree with what stevevt said. Make sure you are using a good surge protector, and good quality, insulated cables. The power cord is a common source for interference, if possible, any excess cable try to move away from the sub itself and make sure your connections are good, try cleaning them too. Another possibility is make sure your connections are not backwards. I made this mistake and my sub had interference because I had the cable from the sub to the receiver backwards, once I turned it around, it stopped.