Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

* PLEASE* help with TV question

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-04, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I've decided to upgrade to a new TV. I found this and was hoping someone can help me with a few of my questions since I don't know much about TV's...
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/prod...348552064418113
First question I have is why is the price so low compared to other 51" sets with built in HD tuners? Second question is what exactly would I need to receive HD broadcasts? Right now I only have basic cable with no cable box and the cable plugged directly into the back of my TV.
Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-10-04, 03:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Your linky isn't working. Is it the Magnavox/Philips 51"?

This set does NOT have DVI or HDMI.

Only ONE component video input.

No P-I-P.

Only 1080i or 480p. No other choices.

No 3:2 pulldown.

No HDTV Tuner.

Price? Not bad.

So, that's about maybe a $500 savings right there. Now, if you don't need the extra stuff the other TV's provide, then this set will do just fine for you. Generally, your receiver should have the generous amount of jacks for inputs and outs, but it's nice to have at least two component inputs for, let's say, quick connection of a digital video cam or even another video device for temp use--and generally, a pair of inputs is convenientally placed on the front of the television which offers multiple inputs, so you can easily hook-up a video cam, digital camera, or another video device.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 12-10-04 at 03:51 AM.
Old 12-10-04, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JZ1276
I've decided to upgrade to a new TV. I found this and was hoping someone can help me with a few of my questions since I don't know much about TV's...
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/prod...348552064418113
First question I have is why is the price so low compared to other 51" sets with built in HD tuners? Second question is what exactly would I need to receive HD broadcasts? Right now I only have basic cable with no cable box and the cable plugged directly into the back of my TV.
Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
To get HD broadcasts, you would need a HD reciever. They run over $300 bucks plus the antenna. Or you could get a dish or direct tv. They have HDTV packages.