Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Would Upgrading My DVD Player To HDMI Be Worth It??

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-04, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently bought a 30Inch Sony HD Monitor(KV30HS420)and the TV looks great when I use my Xbox on it and right now I have a regular Sony DVD player with Component Cables. When I went back to Circuit City the guy who sold me the TV tried to talk me into getting a Toshiba DVD player that has an HDMI connector. Supposedly it's supposed to upconvert the resolution or something.....I just got the TV to replace my old Sony 27 Inch.

Here are the specs of the TV and I was wanting to know if anyone else here has upgraded their DVD players to this type of connection and if there is a difference in picture quality.

Sony KV-30HS420 Specifications

General
Product type TV - Color

Technology CRT

Diagonal size 30 in

Image aspect ratio 16:9

HDTV compatible Yes

CRT type FD Trinitron

Series WEGA

Width 35.4 in

Depth 22.2 in

Height 23.8 in

Weight 149.7 lbs
Video System
Vertical resolution 1080 lines

Comb filter 3D digital
Audio System
Sound output mode Stereo

Surround sound effects SRS TruSurround

Audio controls Bass,Treble,Balance

Total output power 30 Watt

Speakers included 2 speakers

Speaker system details 2 x Right/left channel speaker - Built-in - 15 Watt

Additional features SteadySound auto volume
Television Features
Widescreen modes Full,Zoom,Normal,Wide Zoom

Freeze memo Yes

Display menu language French,English,Spanish

Picture adjustment Vivid/Standard/Movie/Sports

Color temperature control Yes

Additional features On-screen menu,Auto white balance,Auto pedestal clamp,Dynamic focus circuitry,3:2 pulldown compensation,Dynamic picture processor,Velocity modulation scanning,Vertical aperture compensation,Digital reality creation multifunction
Tuner / Channel Details
Tuner type (qty) Standard TV (1)

Reception system NTSC

Stereo reception system MTS

Channel coverage VHF:2-13,UHF:14-69,Cable:1-125

Remote control features Multi-brand compatibility
Connections / Cables / Slots
Input/Output connections 2 x Component video input (RCA phono x 3) - Rear,1 x Composite video/audio input (RCA phono x 3) - Front,3 x Composite video/audio input (RCA phono x 3) - Rear,1 x S-Video input (4 pin mini-DIN) - Front,2 x S-Video input (4 pin mini-DIN) - Rear,2 x Control S - Rear,1 x Fixed/variable audio output (RCA phono x 2) - Rear,1 x HDMI - Rear,3 x Audio line-in (RCA phono x 2) - Rear,1 x Composite video/audio output (RCA phono x 3) - Rear

I did a search and didn't find a straight forward answer.....maybe this time I can get one

Thanks and Happy Holidays
Old 12-02-04, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not familiar with that model so I can't say for sure. You'll need to find out what resolution the TV displays at when fed a 480 interlaced signal from typical DVDs. If you have choices of whether it will display at 480p, 960i or 1080i. If the TV will up convert from 480i to 1080i then save your money because the TV is already doing what the new player would do. If the TV only display the 480i signal at 480p or 960i then it could be worth it to you.
Old 12-03-04, 08:59 AM

Upconverting players show extremely little if any difference on a tube set or CRT. Tube sets are really still analogue and it processes the signal to analouge before digital.

The Sony 420, 955, and 960 are all fine tube choices. Some of the best options period. Any of these should be able to give you very good DVD performance.

You need a digital fixed pixel based display (LCD & Plasma) for example to see a difference. Even then, it might not be much at all. It just depends of the display and player.

DVD resolution is 480. Just because a player upconverts it doesnt mean it will suddenly change into HDTV quality.

I think these players are marketed a little deceiving. I mean the average person is going to see upconverts to HDTV and then think they are going to get some HDTV feed.

Not going to happen. If thats what you want, wait for an HD DVD Player and the material to go with it next year.
Old 12-03-04, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This may not completely answer your question, but there was a brilliant post/read over at avsforum on HDDVD/upconversion/DVD players in general. Very useful read (it's been stickied over there now), a bit long, but very quick.
Old 12-03-04, 11:14 AM

What Clown Face said. With a CRT, there is no point. All you would be doing is swapping the Digital to Analog converter in the DVD player for the DAC on your TV. I am surprised that a CRT even comes with an HDMI input.

The biggest reason to use an HDMI cable is to avoid using the DACs alltogether, keeping the signal digital the entire way. All the upconverting does is use the DVD player's scaler instead of the one in your TV.

So in your set up, you would be using the DVD player's scaler, and the TV's DAC. I suppose if you had some knowledge that your DVD player had a great scaler and a horrible DAC that might be a defensible set-up. But without evidence, for all you know the reverse is true and you are paying $300 for a worse picture.
Old 12-03-04, 11:34 AM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
There is a slight increase in picture quality on my CRT RPTV when I upconvert to 1080i on my HTPC with a VGA connection. Not a lot, but enough to prefer it.
Old 12-03-04, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I want to thank you guys for the input you have given. I'd like to learn more about this stuff.....DAC, CRT, Scalers, LCD, Plasma....

Sorry for the noobiness