Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Anyone want to talk me out of buying this TV before tomorrow?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Anyone want to talk me out of buying this TV before tomorrow?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-04, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man, soooo much animousity towards the CRT owners......I work for a living, it was a no-brainer to me to buy a CRT set at a great price . I'd be happy to buy an LCD or a plasma but I have no qualms with CRT- they tend to give many years of good service. Looks like you got a great set Thunderball .

Last edited by nightmaster; 12-03-04 at 06:31 AM.
Old 12-03-04, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by nightmaster
Man, soooo much animousity towards the CRT owners......I work for a living, it was a no-brainer to me to buy a CRT set at a great price . I'd be happy to buy an LCD or a plasma but I have no qualms with CRT- they tend to give many years of good service. Looks like you got a great set Thunderball .
I agree. To each his/her own I guess, but a properly calibrated (with a $20-$50 disc - not an ISF tech) CRT will not have any of the problems people like to bring up. The 4:3 stretch mode on my Hitachi is great - I can't even really tell.

The depth of my set is 25" but my AV rack is 20" deep so they line up nicely, with room for the 3 1/2 miles of cables behind the rack . I would be bringing a LCD, DLP, or Plasma up to the same point anyway to line up with the front of the rack.

If I won the lottery tomorrow I'd probably look at a DLP - they are pretty sweet.
Old 12-03-04, 08:24 AM

Originally posted by nightmaster
Wait... don't get me wrong...

I still like CRT sets. They do put out a great picture. All of the RP technologies have pros and cons. Each person needs to pick out what they think is best for him/her.

I was only stating earlier in this thread that there was a lot of bashing of the digital technologies from CRT owners. My response was:

Audition the sets yourself and make your own decision. These days, the difference between the digital sets and the CRT-RP sets is not as big as it used to be. There are distinct advantages to either one.

Anyhow, for every bunch of people telling you that CRT is still king, at least one of that bunch is probably only saying it because CRT-RP is cheaper than the digital technology, and so they are justifying being cheaper by saying it is better...
And I stand by that...
Old 12-03-04, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree that there was some bashing, and the extent of it made me go audition the TV again. 2 times actually. Once in Best Buy,and again in Tweeter where I bought it.

Best Buy has the shittiest TV feeds of all time, and it still looked good.

Tweeter showed me parts from Kill Bill Vol 2 and Finding Nemo, that looked absolutely brilliant on their AVIA tuned set.
Old 12-03-04, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess the only thing left is to figure out what movie I should watch first
Old 12-03-04, 09:19 AM

These threads are so pointless. Anyone is going to defend the technology they own. If I ever saw an unbiased opinion on these types of forums, I would think I was in a alternate reality.

CRT's are wonderful for image (I prefer quality tube CRT's myself, not a big projection crt fan. Never really was).

I dont want the big boxy tv in the middle of the room because it looks terrible to me, takes up way too much space, and is a pain to move when it has to be moved.

These will be all but extinct in the next several years. Thats probably not right though as they have their place.

You will still find the best pic in a CRT. CRT's go unappreciated really.

If they could make them thinner and weigh less with the same quality, I would look into it.

People want thin, pretty, and convenient. They probably throw pic behind these things. The average person isnt a videophile and could care less if they have the absolute best picture.

P.S. Whats this about needing to win a lottery to buy a DLP, LCD, or Plasma? lol.

I am rich by no means and would still be able to get one if I really wanted one. It's called be cheap for awhile until you can afford it. Get a good job. If you dont have one, go to school. Wait for prices to drop to your budget. Look for discounts. Nickle & Dime. Cut out the Coffee, Cigarettes, Cable, etc. If you want something bad enough, anything is possible and you dont even have to go broke doing it. I dont believe in using credit for luxury purchases either. No interest or not, I would never make payments on such an item. It's you can afford to pay cash or you dont get for me and ny luxery purchase. I have missed out on my things, but I dont care End of story with me. Debt sucks worse than anything & is just not worth it IMO.

Though I understand why many wont pay as well. The prices are still ridiculous. I cant force myself to pay for one either even though I can easily afford it.

I hate feeling like I am being ripped off and then see prices drop even further.
Old 12-03-04, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by ClownFace666

P.S. Whats this about needing to win a lottery to buy a DLP, LCD, or Plasma? lol.

It means I dropped $2000 on a RPTV earlier this year which I am very happy with and I won't be buying another TV for quite some time unless I win the lottery, in which case I'll buy a 61" DLP for another room
Old 12-03-04, 11:34 PM

If I won the huge lottery and money was no object, I would venture into the premium market.

I would build a theater room with quality items and have them replaced yearly.

People still pay $2000 for just a DVD player. Check out AVS. Those people are crazy and loaded with cash. Or in severe debt. Who knows.
Old 12-04-04, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally posted by ClownFace666
If I won the huge lottery and money was no object, I would venture into the premium market.

I would build a theater room with quality items and have them replaced yearly.

People still pay $2000 for just a DVD player. Check out AVS. Those people are crazy and loaded with cash. Or in severe debt. Who knows.
Yeah, I am a "victim" of one of those. My parents just built a cabin and my dad dropped about $50K on a HT room. It's pretty sick. I won't complain, though.
Old 12-04-04, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I know that I could have gotten a comparable picture for a lot less in CRT, but the LCD matched what I needed in a TV.

I like to upgrade every 7 years or so, unless there is nothing new at all out on the market.... so the LCD was a good choice. In 10 years...who knows.
Old 12-04-04, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just got the "we have the TV in stock, stop by, pick up the stand, and set up delivery" phone call.